Calibration

ttdriver

Novice Member
I have run audyssey and I am now looking to tweak it using an spl meter to ensure all speakers are at 75 dB. The thing is what should I set the master volume to?

The reason I ask is when I go to

set-up>speaker set-up>level calibration

the test tone played moves in volume in relation to the master volume. So what I did was adjust the master volume until I got the test tone in the 70 - 80 range as indicated on the SPL meter and then adjusted each speaker individually until it read 75 dB. I then set the sub at 80.

I just find it strange that the test tone will increase and decrease in volume with the master volume?

Anyone got any advice?

johnfbr

Novice Member
Hi I just adjusted the test tone to all read the same on the SPL from my watching position. I did not touch master volume.

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
if you've run audyssey correctly then it should have set the levels correctly so there's no need to go back and change the levels. What makes you think that the levels are off?

james.miller

Novice Member
master volume? what amp is this?

boltoa

-30dB on the amp should be 75dB on SPL meter, I believe. Reference (0dB amp) is supposedly 105dB.

IIRC, anyway :).

james.miller

Novice Member
-30dB on the amp should be 75dB on SPL meter, I believe. Reference (0dB amp) is supposedly 105dB.

IIRC, anyway :).
that's right, with the small addition of reference level for the sub being 115db.

ttdriver

Novice Member
Hi all,

It is an Onkyo 605 that I am setting up. I ran audyssey and to be honest I was not convinced by the Sub level so I decided to check the results. When checking I noticed that the front speakers were set to full band so I changed that to 80.

A few people advocate checking the levels after audyssey with an SPL as it sometimes sets them up strange. This brings me to the problems I am having.

The amps volume ranges from 0 - 100 and it is NOT displayed in - dB just 0 - 100. When you press the set-up button on the remote it displays a screen giving you 8 options from Input/Output to Lock set-up.

I selected number 2. Speaker set-up, this gives you a another 5 options, I selected option 4. Level calibration. This screen shows a picture of the speakers and the levels set by Audyssey.

Now when the volume is at min there is NO TEST TONE. It rises in proportion to the volume i.e. the volume knob or the volume button on the remote.

I obviously want to set all the main speakers at 75 dB and the sub maybe slightly higher but how do I do this if I don't know what is reference level on the amp?

For example setting the volume at 30 gives and output that is barely audible. I would have thought the test tone would be unchanged by any volume control but on my 605 it is

I am lost???

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
I've never used the absolute volume setting nor have I tried to change the volume when running the test tone so what I'd try is setting the volume control to relative (I don't remember which option it is) and see if that helps.

re audyssey, it will set the crossover according to what it records the -3dB point to be. There are assorted reasons why this might come out at an apparently odd reading (full band etc) and it's fine to change them if you think it works better (especially going from full band to a crossover).

If you think the sub sounds too quiet then taking some readings with an SPL meter in 1 location is never going to be an accurate way to do, at the very least the reading will vary depending on the frequency you measure and where you are in the room. If you have doubts about the sub level then I think REW is really the best way forward if you can.

boltoa

Think you need Setup - 6.Miscellaneous - 1.Volume Setup - Volume Display - Relative. That's on 905 anyway, presume 605 is same/similar.

ttdriver

Novice Member
Thanks mate but on the 605 that is not available? I have since re-run audyssey and it sounds ok, gonna leave it a few days now