Question Calibration

Khankat

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've spent an age lurking here, reading, trying to learn as much as I can about the modern TV. So far so good, but it is somewhat bewildering.

I have a question which may or may not have an obvious answer. It is this: if I buy a Smart TV and I have it calibrated, and somewhere along the line the TV requires resetting to its factory default state, am I correct in assuming the calibration settings will be lost at the reset?

Further to this, is there an easy way to save the calibrated settings, prior to resetting, so that they might be restored by me, the ordinary/average buyer?

Thanks in anticipation.

I have a question which may or may not have an obvious answer. It is this: if I buy a Smart TV and I have it calibrated, and somewhere along the line the TV requires resetting to its factory default state, am I correct in assuming the calibration settings will be lost at the reset?
Probably to definitely. Will depend on your TV.
Further to this, is there an easy way to save the calibrated settings, prior to resetting, so that they might be restored by me, the ordinary/average buyer?
I don't know of any TV allowing the calibration settings to be saved to a USB stick for a one touch save and restore procedure by the user. It would certainly be nice if you could.

But you can always write them down or, much better, put them into a speadsheet (or get the calibrator to do this), and then re-input the 'saved' settings again yourself manually without needing a new calibration. It's a tedious and time consuming, but not difficult, process and preferable to paying for another calibration.

A small portion of my spreadsheet 'saved' settings from my TV shown below from 5 to 35IRE. With my TV, for each picture mode which can be calibrated fully, there are 20 groups of four settings from 5 to 100 IRE plus 2 groups of three settings. So if you have say 2 calibrated picture modes you'll have 2*86 individual numbers to put into the spreadsheet. This is for a TV with both 2 point and 20 point white balance controls, if there are only 2 point controls it's obviously far less numbers involved.

bitofcal.jpg

That's just for the SDR settings. Then add on any HDR settings to that as well. There then will be another group of numbers for any Colour Management System (CMS) changes, if the TV has one. But at the end of the day it's just a big set of numbers to input using the TV remote control. This is assuming the calibration was just done using the TV's user calibration facility.

If any calibration was done via the TV service menu, it's the same process but you will need a service remote, android app, or something like a Harmony remote which can have the TV service menu access 'buttons' loaded on it for you to get in to do the changes. This is more risky and would void your warranty if you got anything wrong and bricked the TV. Although the chances of that are slim if care is taken to not touch anything but the calibration settings.

Last edited:
@doug56hl
Thank you, for your detailed answer. I appreciate it. I think, when the time comes, that I will see how far I can adjust the TV settings to my liking via the user menu. If satisfactory, then I would probably the forego having the job done professionally.

Thanks again, for your help.

@doug56hl
Thank you, for your detailed answer. I appreciate it. I think, when the time comes, that I will see how far I can adjust the TV settings to my liking via the user menu. If satisfactory, then I would probably the forego having the job done professionally.

Thanks again, for your help.
Will depend on the TV you buy. Reviews for the 2017 Oleds for example note that they are almost perfect out of the box and little is to be gained by calibration.

I am considering a Panasonic Led model. Okay, they might not be the best there is, in terms of features, but I have a Panasonic-TX-32LXD600 that I have had from new, and it still performs well. I plan on replacing it when it stops working. I can't say I have ever had anything bad from Panasonic.

My daughter has a Loewe which she loves, and that comes calibrated from the factory. Too costly for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom