Question Calibration Software - Calman

8k120hz

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly I spent some time looking but could not see a dedicated section of the forum to discuss calibration methods/software etc... Maybe I'm just being daft, happens a bit, and just missed it. If there is one can a powerful mod please move this thread. Thanks in advance.

Question for the knowledgeables. I've been spying up a new OLED. Delighted to hear some companys now rolling out inbuilt calibration software to the panels. Panasonic specifically including AutoCal.

I've used HCFR in the past to do a pain staking calibration which took much effort and many hours. AutoCal sounds like it will be easy PC display calibration esque. Is this the case? Sadly I've got a Colormunki colorimeter which at cursory glance doesn't look to be a supported sensor for the main software readme's.

Never used Calmans autocal before so.... Is there any solution to this other without buying new hardware? I see they offer multiple editions of the software.

Thanks in advance.

You need a compatible colorimeter to work with built in calibration.

Spears and Munsel have released a calibration disc which just requires a 4K player. It’s just been reviewed on here.

Woof - No answers since Sep. 4th.

Firstly - Here's everything you need to know (attachment) about calibration, picture quality etc - wrapped up in an ISF PDF presentation.

Short answer:

Just get a calibrator in to sort if you're absolutely determined.

BUT

Pay attention to slide 66 of the presentation.

• After Dynamic range (ie: grey scale and EOTF calibration)
  • ...comes MORE colours. - NOT calibrated colours - MORE COLOURS.

• A calibrator will give you SDR REC. 709 colour primaries and a circa 100nits peak whitepoint.
This might work if you watch in a cave with black walls, floor and ceiling - but in the real world its dull with muted colours; no pop, and frankly rubbish - and you've spent £200+ for the privilege!

HDR UHD calibration is also a busted flush with a calibrator simply attempting to follow the proscribed EOTF curve ( st.2084) - They don't go near colour in any meaningful way (no 17 point minimum UHD 3D LUT boxes currently in the consumer world - and the lumigens are a red herring) as the Rec 2020 container, with DCI P3 primaries (or is it? - spider verse as example) muddle / debacle, makes colour calibration a free swim, with no actual standards being followed.

CONCLUSION:

Get a calibrator in with a colorimetry CR300 referenced Klein K10A. (the cr300 gives you 2nm accuracy - the K10A is able to remember and repeat that accuracy) Have them calibrate the grey scale and gamma for SDR and HDR as follows:

SDR - as bright as your panel can go without clipping white level. - EOTF from there.

HDR - same.

That's it for them - Send them away.

Change the gamma yourself (lower number for brighter environment - higher number for darker environment) - Do this to taste.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOT HAVING A CALIBRATED CONSUMER TV.

Even if one existed that would enable a correct calibration (they don't)
And you had it calibrated.

IT WOULD LOOK DULL AND WASHED OUT IN YOUR NON CALIBRATED, NON CALIBRATED CRI99+ BACKLIGHT, ENVIRONMENT.

SORTED.

jR
x

Attachments

• ISF-Level-II-2017-333.pdf
    7.7 MB · Views: 121

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom