Calibration Settings - Please don't ask as refusal often offends

RayP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently had my PH9 calibrated by Gordon. He did a first class job and the PQ is now much better than before. He is an ISF certified calibrator and the charges cover his travelling costs as well as forming a major part of his income.

Twice in the last week I have received private messages asking if I would share my settings. On both occasions I have refused. Why? you might ask. Where's the harm in writing down a set of numbers and sending them out?

Two reasons. One, the calibration was on my PH9 fed from my Sky box, my JS Tech box with signals fed through my cables. The requesters have a different PH9 (or maybe a 10), different Sky box and different cables. All these affect the picture and especially colour. I haven't made this up - it's what Gordon say's and this chap knows his onions!

Second reason is they're trying to get a calibration on the cheap. Well less than cheap actually! They want it for free! This service cost me £275. I don't begrudge spending the money and in fairness, those requesting my numbers may not know how much it cost.

So to anyone considering sending me a request - please don't as refusal often offends. You've bought one of the best plasma screens available so go that extra mile and get the best possible picture from it with a calibration. It isn't dead money. These guys are really very good indeed and you really will get a better picture.

Finally, you might ask why advertise the fact that you've had your PH9 calibrated? Remove that bit from your sig and people won't know. But I want people to know it's a service worth paying for. That why it's there.

Thanks.

Well said!!!
I must say that I totally agree with that!

These guys that do the calibration are very knowledgeable people who have spent a lot of time, and money, understanding what they do.

I think that people only get disappointed when your settings don't give them the same PQ as their particular configuration of equipment, as it is different.

I hope that more people get there sets calibrated properly as ultimately that is the ONLY thing that will ever reduce the cost.

I hope that you have lots of good viewing on your set and I WILL get mine calibrated when I buy it soon :thumbsup:

I am not a calibrator touting for business here either!

Kev

Glad to hear you've improved your PQ by having a professional calibration. Calibrate good times, come on!

I was thinking of having one done when I get the LX508 soon.:smashin:

Kev & Google,

Thanks for your comments and support. It's perhaps worth mentioning that going into the service menu will invalidate the warranty if the supplier finds out.

Changing one of the settings in that menu can permanently damage the screen. That info is from a ISF calibrator so everyone considering going into it should take heed.

It's a fair cop guv. I need help! Nurse!

I missed your classic line google. Sorry about that. I'm old enough to remember the song too!:oops:

I don't think a young nurse barely able to fit into her outfit is going to do you any good whatsoever! ;)

I missed your classic line google. Sorry about that. I'm old enough to remember the song too!:oops:

I don't think a young nurse barely able to fit into her outfit is going to do you any good whatsoever! ;)

Aye, don't worry, it's cool and the gang.

Cheers.

Scott

I can't see the harm in posting your settings for people to try? This is a forum for sharing plasma screen knowledge and info after all.

And, as you say, the true benifits of ISF are gained with an engineer calibrating a specific set up.

I can't see the harm in posting your settings for people to try? This is a forum for sharing plasma screen knowledge and info after all.

And, as you say, the true benifits of ISF are gained with an engineer calibrating a specific set up.

But in order to 'try' my settings people would have to enter the service menu thereby invalidating their warranty. All my user menu settings are set to zero.

And in providing my settings I would also have to go into the service menu.

By all means share opinions and ideas but this is one area that is best left to the professionals.

But in order to 'try' my settings people would have to enter the service menu thereby invalidating their warranty. All my user menu settings are set to zero.

And in providing my settings I would also have to go into the service menu.

By all means share opinions and ideas but this is one area that is best left to the professionals.

Ray I am completely with you believe it or not, we are sharing some settings on the 8G thread but the advice IS to get it properly calibrated.

The shared sattings are just really some good settings to get people away from the lousy out of box settings, but they are not perfect.

Trust me, like you once mine is ISF calibrated ( if the software is ever ready) I will NOT be sharing those settings cuz I like you are paying to have it done.

Saying that, I would not be able anyway cuz you need the software to access the 9 point gamma correction.

Good on you Ray

The cheapest alternativ cost less then 15£. :)

Avia - the 5-minute video calibration
Chapt7-Calibrations.jpg

Ray I am completely with you believe it or not, we are sharing some settings on the 8G thread but the advice IS to get it properly calibrated.

The shared sattings are just really some good settings to get people away from the lousy out of box settings, but they are not perfect.

I have also contributed to this kind of discussion when new owners of the PH series have asked what settings they should use. Take it out of Dynamic, reduce the contrast etc. is sound advice and the user can do this without entering dangerous waters.

I read a thread last week and one chap was trying to work out why he couldn't get a decent picture whatever he set the contrast to. He was asking retailers what the purpose of particular settings were and they were reluctant to discuss them in case it resulted in him damaging his screen.

Discussing settings on the user menu is quite legitimate and is recommended. But what goes on in the service menu is strictly for the pros. I'm glad we agree on that and to the benefits of a pro calibration. I hope you don't have to wait too long. :)

The cheapest alternativ cost less then 15£. :)

Avia - the 5-minute video calibration

I have the DVE calibration DVD but it can't even get close to what a professional calibrator can achieve.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom