1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calibration, Scaler or Both ??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Alphatoner, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Alphatoner

Alphatoner
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have been planning to get my Plasma calibrated in the near future, but the question is, If I get a decent scaler does this mean that i don't need to get the plasma calibrated and if i do, do i get it done after scaler is set up?

if i can only afford one option which should it be?

Looking at an extron dvs 204-d is this any good?

Thanks for your help

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Calibration whoudl take in to account the whole video chain. If you calibrate for yrou current sources then you stick in a scaler that all sources go through then that will affect the calibration. Not only that the scaler has so many parameters that work in tandem with the sources and display that it is perfectly posisble to plug it in and make the image worse in many areas.

If you are going to have them both done eventually then get scaler first. If you are only going to do one then you should tell us your sources and display and proposed connectivity so we can advise on most cost effective solution.

The Extron piece has limited connectivity, no HD ability at all or support for HDMI/DVI. It doesn't appear to support RGB from scart or progressive pal or ntsc. It would have to be a good price (ie under £350) to excite me. I believe you can do much better these days.

Gordon

3. Alphatoner

Alphatoner
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks for that gordon,

My current equipment is

Panasonic TH42PA20 Plasma
    conected this are:

Arcam DV88 DVD (black) via Component
    JVC HDS1 VHS (with hard disk recorder)(silver) via Scart
    Panasonic digibox via Scart
    Linksys wireless media adaptor via S-video

I would want to connect the first three as a minimum but also allow for an upgrade path in terms of connections.

It would be nice to be able to connect the Linksys as well (although it only outputs a menu to screen) but if it can it would mean i only need 1 cable going to the plasma.

Any suggestions would be wecome.

Regards

Ian

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Ian: Off the top of my head I don't think that plasma has film detection capability. I think it's correct that the DV88 doesn't have prog scan output either?

In your case I'd say that something like a Lumagen DVI or similar, outputting to either the PC or component input of your plasma, installed and configured properly, would probably be the best first stage.

You would go RGBscart to scaler from Sky, svideo from Linksys, scart to composite from JVC and component from DV88. The key to getting the best out of all those sources woul undoubtedly be getting the scaler, source and display all configured properly though. Id expect a pretty serious improvement in quality.

It's against forum rules to post prices or solicit business so I'm afraid you will now have to do some leg work yourself to find the best supplier for scaler products and configuration services. Quick look at forum sponsors will probably bring some suitable candidates up though.

Gordon

5. Alphatoner

Alphatoner
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks for that Gordon,

and yes i think your right on of the forum sponsers does indeed sell Lumagen equipment. I'll take a look at there site.

Your also right about the DV88 and progscan, but not sure about the plasma.

Just as a quickie, one of the most annoying things about the panny is aspect ratio, which i have set to auto and it is constantly switching when viewing TV channels, even within the same program.

Would a scaler solve this problem?

Ian

6. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Should do, if it let's you define the output resolution, which most do.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    When you use a scaler the scaler then becomes the device that you use to adjust aspect ratio and to switch inputs. Lumagen scalers have 4 ir codes associated with aspect ratios. These are 16:9 (for anamorphic material), 4:3 for ....4:3 material....and Letterbox for letterboxed material broadcast in a 4:3 frame. The fourth is not actually important and is best forgotten. The 4:3 aspect command can be configured to do a Non Linear Stretch mode instead so that the full screen width is used (to prevent uneven wear...but I never use it myself).

I am not aware of any scalers that have auto aspect ratio switching. There are external boxes that can have the scart output of a freeview/digibox routed through them and these can send RS232 commands to scalers to make them auto chane aspect if you want....however it sounds like you don't want.....and neither do I...so you'd just choose the aspect you want and away you go.

On my pronto at home I have buttons for 4:3, 16:9 and letterbox.

Gordon

8. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Neither do I, but that's mainly because the NLS mode on the Lumagen is chronically bad. I can't imagine what they were thinking when they programmed it as it bears no relationship whatsoever to the NLS mode of every other widescreen TV I've ever owned, used or played with.

However, one of Lumagen's real saving graces (above and beyond the fact that it's an excellent piece of kit) is the ongoing support the Lumagen folks give the product. They freely acknowledged the NLS mode was poor and have promised to revamp it. And, according to the last post on the subject, in the very near future too. Can't come fast enough as far as I'm concerned. Their man reckoned in 'two or three days time' about five days ago, so it should be any time now. Fingers crossed!

Regards

Mark

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Mark: Where did Patrick say he'd have a better NLS in 3 days time? I agree that it's mince.....as are the NLS modes on all the other scalers I've seen. Some form of variable stretch would be cool......but I'd still never use it unless it could be assigned to the 4th aspect button...... I watch a fair amount of 4:3 material at home of an evening and I want it the correct shape.

Gordon

10. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    It was actually pharkin on the Convergent Lumagen Users Forum.

To quote...

> Re: S-Video Vertical Stripes [message #2029] Wed, 10 August 2005 23:40
    >
    > pharkin
    >
    >
    > Mark, should have an update in the next few days with an NLS feature
    > improvement.

Though to be fair, they then did get a load of complaints about PAL shearing and noise, so they've probably been working on that first (which they've just released an update for) . But I do hope they haven't forgotten as I really, really want it more than anything else they might be doing.

And, yes, that 4th button is a bit odd. The difference between 16:9 and 1.85:1 (or whatever it is) is minimal at best. A NLS button would be much more useful.

Regards

Mark

11. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +144
    I agree. Lumagen give the best customer support I have ever come across. Really magnificent.