Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Calibration Question

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by sandstheman, Sep 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I'm needing some advice on what would be the best way to do a DIY calibration of my DVI Input on my screen (Sharp LCM3700)

For the analogue inputs i have access to the usual Brightness, Contrast etc settings, but when using my DVD player with the DVI Input, all the usual adjustment options are grayed out and all i am left with are the following - Six-Color Hue, Six-Color Saturation and Six-Color Image Value adjustments. I've calibrated the DVD player as best i could using the THX tests from one of my DVD's to set the brightness and contrast settings on the player itself, but can't help but think the picture could be improved further if i could calibrate those color settings on the screen.

Does anyone know the best way to go about calibrating those Six-Color settings, because i haven't been able to find any info on it anywhere so any help, hints, suggestions are welcome

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Apparently the THX calibration pattens on DVD's are unique to that disc title.

You may be better getting something less 'noddy' like DVE or Avia - cost about £15/20. They have instructions / theory too and many test patterns - although some are more useful than others. But be warned, they are not a silver bullet - thay take some understanding and the ability to apply the techniques learned to your type of TV (ie LCD's need different calibration techniques to CRT's) and make/model.

I personally have not tried Avia, but DVE (Digital Video Essentials) comes with coloured glasses to match the colour test pattens but navigation is a pain unless you use direct title/chapter navigation.

-Ian