1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Calibration Question on Pioneer AX5i

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Murray, Nov 16, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I just bought the AX5i yesterday and having a problem getting the OSD message on my plasma when doing the calibration with the mic. I can only read the message on the front of the amp and not sure if things are being set up correctly? Is this as Im not sending any vid conections into the amp as i have them going directly to the source? Im using a plasma and a projector. The only outside signal is from SKY SAT.
    Also when your setting up the sub while using the mic where would you place the volume level on the back of the sub before starting the calibration? I had it set at 12 o'clock. If it was set higher Im sure the calibration would have corrected the level, am I right? :lease:

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When useing the amp you need to have a Video lead to your plasma from your amp ie Composite / S VID / or component it will then give you a display of the OS Setup on your plasma.
    Ref to your Sub Level approx 12 O'clock or half way is a good start

John

3. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    How LOUD will the Pioneer AX5Ai go? I know it has 120 watts per channel and my speakers are all 100 watts per channel - but when I listened to a film last night (GODSEND) it was clipping and making loud "clicking" noises!

It must be able to go louder than this right?

4. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    After the calibration Im running everything on DVD around -5 and that is loud!
    On 0 it is really good but seems just a bit too loud! And Im telling you I do like sound loud!,,,No clipping or clicking what so ever.

5. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Louder than what?

An AX5i will go to 67.86 loud ... if it doesn't then there's something wrong.

(Please note that was a tongue in cheek statement meant to illustrate that the question "How LOUD will the Pioneer AX5i go?" has no valid answer. Ed.)

The problem is we have no reference here ... "watts" are almost arbitrary and meaningless in this situation.

A "clicking" could be caused by speakers being overdriven and the voice coil formers being battered into the back of the magnet assembly (but that usually sounds more like a rasping noise).

I have to say that I would expect an amp of the level of an AX5i to be able to sustain a good level (more than you would really need unless you are showing off, socially inept or inconsiderate of neighbours) without protesting. You say that the amp was "clipping" - are you sure that it was clipping?

Is there a speaker impedance selector on the rear of the amp? If so, is it set correctly? If there is and it is set to 8 ohms but your speakers are 4 (or 6) ohms then that could cause the amp to run out of steam early.

Phil