Calibration - Independent advice please.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by GaspodeX, Mar 9, 2013.

1. GaspodeX

GaspodeX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I'm basically thinking about getting my setup calibrated - particularly my projector.

I have a heavily darkened room with an 8x6 Firehawk Stewart Screen wall. I'm using an InFocus IN82 at around 18 feet. The Amp is a Denon 4308 and sources include SkyHD, Panasonic BD55, Toshiba HDDVD, PCH A400 and occasionally Xbox/PS3 and Apple TV3. Speakers are 10 year old Kef Q series 7.1

I also have a 46 Inch Sony which wheels back and forth in front of the screen.

Basically i've just changed the blub in the IN82 (after 2760 hours of use on the first - a good number) and my mind has again turned to calibration.

I'm looking for a recommendation of a pro to do this, and an idea of cost and I'd like someone honest enough to tell me if he feels there isn't much benefit beyond what I do by eye.

I'm based in Aylesbury in bucks.

Thanks All

G.

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,765
    I've edited your thread header as it was asking for the opposite of what you want, but let me know if it's still not right.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,495
    I’d be shocked if you didn’t see a huge difference in image quality with a before/after assessment of your image.

Key to getting it right will be A. ensuring the AVR is in full Video Passthru mode and B. what options your Projector offers you in terms of a ‘per signal type’ memory.

if the projector has limited capabilities for saving multiple settings you should consider a Lumagen Radiance Mini3D video processor along with a calibration to ensure your system is ‘calibrated’ for each Source/Signal type.

Gordon Fraser at Convergent AV is the Lumagen UK Distributor and also one of (if not the) top calibrators in the UK and will know and be able to advise on the capabilities of your Projector.

Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D Scaler from Convergent AV, UK

Joe

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    Joe has covered it all really, apart from mentioning that you need at least 100 hours on the lamp before you get someone in to calibrate: Lamps tend to drift the most in the first 100 hours so a bit pointless getting it done before then (I'd leave it until 150 hours as I've just done myself with m X35).

The Mini3D is a great little device and it will add 125 point CMS and 21 point greyscale/gamma adjustment which is far more detailed than the projector will have in it's own controls. However, the Mini3D is about £1,350 alone so it's a major investment (though it did improve my old JVC HD350 greatly in term of colour accuracy and general image quality due to the more accurate calibration).

Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D | Kalibrate Limited | Home Cinema products, Calibration, DVD Players, 3D Glasses | Audio Systems | Cinema Systems

Another option might be to add the Chromapure and i1 display Pro package to the Mini3D and then use the autocalibration feature: You still need to do some basic setting up and chose the best starting modes in the display. The extra cost of this package over the basic Mini3D (which is of little benefit unless you are going to calibrate it somehow) is about the same cost as a Pro calibration. The benefit of this option is that you can then recalibrate whenever you want to and if you add a HDMI splitter to the Mini3D output as I've done, then you can use it for your TV(s) as well: I have a 4 way HDMI splitter on mine and use the Mini3D to calibrate my projector, living room TV and a second TV in the conservatory.

http://www.chromapure.co.uk/details.asp?id=249&type=products

Just don't expect to 'plug and play' you need to put some effort in doing the basic set up before pressing 'start autocal'. :)

5. GaspodeX

GaspodeX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks both. First step then is to wait to burn in the hours. I'll check into the rest in the mean time.