Calibration help required - DVD volume

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Goochie, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Goochie

Goochie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am running this Yamaha AMP http://www.yamaha-uk.com/discontinued_products/product.cfm?product_id=6&CategoryID=5 with 5 small Sony speakers, all of the same size and an additional 2 large Sony speakers from an old Hi-Fi as suplementary L and R.

Even with just the 5 normal speakers connected, I have a slight problem trying to get the levels right for watching DVDs.

I have spent quite a lot of time setting the speaker distances, room size and levels on the AMP.

However, no matter what I do I cant seem to resolve a very frustrating problem - the difference between quiet scenes and loud scenes in the same film is just too great.

This afternoon, my wife was watching some new Western from Blockbuster that started off with a few minutes of people wandering around talking - she set the volume at a comfortable level to hear the dialog clearly...... then when they started having a shoot out, the difference in volume was ridiculous.

The same happens during something like Lord of The Rings where you either struggle to hear the dialog or get deafened by the music and action scenes.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what I could be doing wrong?

The rather technical instruction manual can be found here: http://www.yamaha-uk.com/pdf/owner_manuals/HTR-5630RDS.pdf for anyone who is feeling particularly helpful ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. has2mow

has2mow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +581
    goochie

If you have dynamic range in the amp menu , try setting it to low or mid
    it should make the difference between the loudest and quieter bits more enjoyable
    thats how my pioneer works . hope this is of some use for now

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I may well be wrong but I have a suspicion that the "additional 2 large Sony speakers from an old Hi-Fi as suplementary L and R" could be the problem.

The centre channel is the most important as it delivers most of the dialogue info. "Effects" channels appear to be swamping the dialogue. has2mow's suggestion to limit the dynamic range may be good but I suspect it is masking a more fundamental problem.

Rule out the extra 2 Sony speakers. Connect just the 5 small Sony speakers and run the test tones again. If you have a sound meter give the centre channel a 1 dB boost compared to all the others, if you don't, make it sound a litle louder than the other channels.

Have you got a subwoofer?

4. Goochie

Goochie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, we have a subwoofer but the problem is there regardless of this being switched on or off.

The amp has a setting whereby you can choose to send bass signals to the speakers or the subwoofer only - changing it to "subwoofer only" makes no difference.

The reason I connected the large speakers was to increase the range and improve the sound quality in general. Previously the sound was at times a little bit "tinny" with nothing in the way of mid-range. Using the larger speakers seems to have resolved the initial problem but perhaps has given me another.

What would you suggest is the best thing to do? Buying a new set of speakers is an option.

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The reason I asked whether you had a subwoofer was to rule out the possibility that you had it set way too loud. You have asnwered that by saying that it makes no difference if it is switched on or off - that isn't the problem.

Small Sony speakers won't reproduce low frequencies so I am not surprised to hear that there is no difference between the amp set to send bass to the sub and speakers versus to the sub only.

Gut feeling is still that you don't have the speaker levels properly set via the amp but only a good sound pressure level meter will confirm or disprove that.

If you happen to be in the West Midlands I can do the testing free of charge.

6. Goochie

Goochie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    has2mow - thanks for the pointer on the dynamic range. I've found it in the manual it it has 3 levels. MIN, STD, and MAX

I've switched from MAX down to MIN and it seems to have made a dramatic difference. Perhaps a little too flat now so I'm going to go for STD next time I watch a DVD.

I have also measured the speaker distances rather than guessing them and changed the values in the Amp. The instructions are not very helpful and even navigating through the menu when you can only see one line on the display is a pain!

Piers - Thanks for the kind offer, I'm in Tamworth which may be a little out of your area. I'll see how I get on now that I've made a few more changes to the settings and let you know.

7. craigd

craigd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Your reaction is not unusual - the dynamic range on DVD material is much greater c.f. TV broadcasts and must CDs released in the last 10 years.

I personally think the DD 5.1 Lord of the Rings soundtracks are very well produced. When I used to have my GS20 floorstanders I could listen at comfortable dialogue volume levels, but in a particularly loud scene I could feel the air on my face from the mid and bass cones - I am quite deaf though!

In my experience it can be the midrange and higher frequencies that actually make listenin at higher volumes uncomfortable.

FYI - I used to use small Tannoy speakers and a huge pair of Kenwood speakers and did not think that was not a good match.