Calibration for Component output?

S

Saqib

hi,

not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but i couldnt find any other forum that may apply.

anyhow my question is this - i got the Digital Video Essentials disc hoping it would be the total calibration tool, but sadly it isn't - it has no calibration tools to set up the Y Cr Cb system at all (well not as far as i can tell anyway).

so i am still left wondering which disc i shoulda got instead of this one, and where the best place to buy it from would be.

appreciate your help - and sorry if this is not in the right forum.

sincerely,
Dr. Hasan.

Surely calibration for component out is the same as calibration for rgb scart or s-video? I don't understand why component out or even progressive component out would be different..

I didn't realise that you had to calibrate component video. I thought you just stuck your cables in, switched on and away you go....

well its just there are settings on the player that allow you to alter the Cr and Cb and Y settings, and since i changed i have noticed there is a lotta blooming around images in finding nemo - not as sharp as on the previous player.

settings include: chroma level, chroma delay, Y noise reduction, C noise reduction.

the manual states specifically that the chroma delay setting applies to only prog video output. i am assuming there must be some way to calibrate this also. could be wrong tho.

Originally posted by Saqib
well its just there are settings on the player that allow you to alter the Cr and Cb and Y settings, and since i changed i have noticed there is a lotta blooming around images in finding nemo - not as sharp as on the previous player.

settings include: chroma level, chroma delay, Y noise reduction, C noise reduction.

the manual states specifically that the chroma delay setting applies to only prog video output. i am assuming there must be some way to calibrate this also. could be wrong tho.

Fair enough but more importantly why hasn't any of my dvd players got this option for component out :(

Still thinking about it you would still configure it with the same screens used for rgb scart and s-video wouldn't you? Test cards etc.

DVE has S+W MPEG decoder test pattern. It has Y/C delay pattern on it.

Widescreen Reviews website probably has the archived articles that Joe Kane wrote about what patterns are on teh disc and what they are for.

Gordon

tried to have a look at the article but it seems like i need to subscribe for it. ugg - $34 for a year just for one article.

what should be looking for? i can't see the mpeg test pattern except for in 1.33 format, and the only 1.78 formats are those for field etc.

sorry to be a pain.

the ntsc one is the one with or without patterns? also its the dve disc and not just ve right? (i have the ntsc one)

the dve disc states that it is designed for best use with component output so I don't really inderstand where you are coming from.
Surely the best option is to put your player on standard settings and calibrate the display?

DVE is designed for all forms of connection and there are patterns to set up pretty much anything, but sometimes manfacturers use different terms for different things.

Also, manufacturers give you controls that you don't need or shouldn't really need!

Chroma Level is the same as Saturation, and would use the same tweak as Saturation in Composite Video.

Chroma Luma delay should not be required in a system that uses vaguely similar cables for each component, or a system with anywhere near correctly designed circuits! - As gordon mentioned there are elements within a number of patterns to set this correctly, but i would recommend the coloured crosses in the S&W MPEG pattern. Ignore the aspect ratio and set the delay so that the colour does not 'bleed' out from the cross unevenly (i.e. the colour should be the same on the left and right of the cross)

Noise Reduction is not something that I would EVER recommend be used on a DVD player - I would set these to 0 (or whatever the off position is). Noise reduction is a complex process to do and on these kinds of systems all you will get is a smearing of the picture and a 'plasticky' feel to the image. There is no test pattern to specifically set up this 'feature' but you may well find that the Multiburst and frequency sweeps will not be as clear at high frequencies if it is turned off.

Many 'features' on systems are there to sell product, not to set it up properly - As a general rule leave them turned off unless YOU specifically see an improvement (i.e. all us 'experts' can tell you all sorts of things but if you like it that way, that's OK)

Hope this helps!

thanks richard - it helped a lot.

i just wish the dve manual explained what everything was for instead of having to find articles etc on it.

again thanks for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom