Calibration for a Z4

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by chestnut, Nov 8, 2005.

1. chestnut

chestnut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm looking to buy a Z4 for England and an oppo 971 DVD from the states for Christmas :thumbsup:. If i'm playing Region 2 disks will i need the PAL or NTSC Digital Video Essentials disk for calibration? I assume PAL but im not sure if the oppo player will complicate matters.

Another question. If the Z4 is set up with Rone's tweaked settings, how much difference will calibration actually make to the picture? It looks complicated and these type of things can drive you crazy :suicide:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chestnut

2. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Chestnut

If you are calibrating for PAL discs (ie region 2) you'll need the PAL one, and NTSC (region 1) for NTSC discs. As I recall the black level threshold is different - though I may have misremembered that. As far as I'm aware the Oppo is multi region and can take either, as can the Z4. Personally, I hardly ever buy NTSC discs cos the PAL ones have a higher resolution.

And ROne's settings take about 2 minutes (really!) to dial in and make a dramatic improvement to the picture instantaneously, so don't worry about that.

Squibbly

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Squibbly remembered correctly. :)

If the Opos has the menu option of selecting 0IRE or 7.5IRE choose 0IRE and the balck level of both PAL and NTSC should be the same. There's more info in the 'basic calibration' sticky at the top of this forum.

Gary.

4. chestnut

chestnut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys thats very helpful.

Chestnut