1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calibration DVD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by zippo4, Oct 18, 2004.

1. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Having just moved to a new house I have recently reinstalled my Yamaha amp and Keff surround speakers. In my last house the system, whilst not set up perfectly, plodded along quite happily. However, I'm now in I'm in my new place, and I'm keen to set it up a little more thoroughly.

My question is ... is there anything on the market like the 'Digital Video Essentials' product that is more aimed at setting up a home cinema amp and speakers? For the record I have a Yamaha RVX630rds amp and the KEF eggs. If there is, is it worth buying?

Many thanks in advance

Paul

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    Avia includes quite a comprehensive audio set up section which includes test tones, sub sweep etc etc which i think is worth getting, it also includes video test patterns (ntsc though).

3. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, I just found that via Google. Having looked at it it seemed more like a product aimed at the complete newbie. Whilst I'm no expert I'm reasonably happy that what I have installed is connected correctly. I'm just not convinced that it's set up correctly..ie delay times, sub woofer cross over etc. So I was really looking more for a product that concentrates on this rather than a product that has this as a nice extra. For example only 1 out of the 7 chapters would really be of use to me as the rest seems to be about stuff I already know?

http://www.smarthome.com/9381.html

Or have or misread what Avia does?

Cheers

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    The one chapter is quite detailed though imo.

In relation to crossover what it does do is emit a sound from xx khz down to xx mhz so that you can listen to determine if there is a gap in the sound between satelite's and sub, my amp does the delay times so i have not used that feature but it is on there. There are also quite a few other sound features on there but i must confess to having not used them as i mainly got it to calibrate the pq on my pj.

I dont know if there is a set up disc that specifically covers just sound.