1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calibration disk rental

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Broadhat, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Broadhat

Broadhat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I've been looking to buy a calibration disk and just realised that I can rent it on a free trial from one of the new online rental schemes such as Blockbusters and Tescos have set up.

My question is, is the documentation that would come with the disk if I bought it essential or could I get by with the disk alone?

Thanks

2. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Regarding Digital Video Essentials, you could get by without the documentation. You would, however, have to deal with the less than intuitive menu system.

3. Broadhat

Broadhat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - it is the Digital Video Essentials (2003) that's available.

4. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Also you will need the colour filters to set the colour level. My dve disk didnt come with any paperwork, all the instructions are on the disk. You will need the disk for quite a while as its not that easy to get to grips with, even if you have a basic knowledge of what youre doing already. :eek:

5. DaveBB

DaveBB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Also aside from the Basic adjustments, there is no explanation of how to use a lot of the test cards.

There is an awful lot of waffle about why you need to adjust the picture... but not enough explaining all the additional cards.

Has anyone got a proper instruction sheet or done a help list?

Dave

6. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The explanation provided in the DVE DVD is for setting the standard TV picture controls, i.e. contrast, brightness, colour, hue/tint (NTSC only) and sharpness (incidentally, surround sound set up is also included). The other test cards included are there to enable you to diagnose whether your TV has any problems with geometry, convergence, etc., with the idea being that you would get a professional to sort it out once you know what is wrong.

It is true that an enthusiastic amatuer (and I include myself in that definition) can use the test cards to adjust geometry, overscan etc. via the service menu, but it is not recommended, hence there are no instructions provided on how to use the test cards. Also, service menus and nomenclature differ between manufacturers, and even within one manufacturer's range of TVs, therefore it is difficult to provide proper instructions.