1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calibration - Digital Video Essentials

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by tbrar, Sep 16, 2003.

1. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received my NTSC Digital Video Essentials yesterday and set about going through the calibration patterns yesterday evening.

Just curious, has any one else used it on their panel yet? Reason being when calibrating contrast, it states that the initial 'blooming' test pattern is for CRT displays, but another test pattern for non CRT displays would follow. As far as I could see it never did follow, or am I missing something ??

Also it would be good to know what peoples experience with DVE and Plasma has been, ie do you feel its better than say Avia for digital displays ?.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I sat through it all Tony and was bored to tears. I also find it impossible to navigate the damn thing. Believe it or not I found it easier using the D Theater tape! When I have a spare hr or two again I'll have a second go.

Gordon

3. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,

Totally agree, TBH I cant tell what we were all waiting for with this release. I expected some specific test patterns for Plasma and the likes.

As you say though It will need further investigation.... at some point :boring: :boring:

Tony

4. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    On the AVIA disc the test pattern they specify for non CRT devices is Needle Pulses, don't know if DVE would call it the same thing.
    I've found the contrast test in the THX Optimode tool to be easier to understand & more effective (IMO).

Cheers, Paul