Calibrating Your Subwoofer - What's Your Settings

S

Stewart C

Using the internal test tone of your amplifier to set all speakers to 75db using an SPL meter. Do you set your subwoofer level to anything other than 75db ?

What is reference level for a subwoofer ?

Regards

Reference levels for subs, take your pick, there are so many, some say 69db, 75db, 78db etc.

Did see a reference for THX settings once that recommended -6db under reference level (75db), I tried it and the bass was to thin, I set mine at 75db same as the other channels, seems a good starting point, then if it's too much lower it and higher it if it's not enough. Since upgrading the sub have mine set +3db above 75db.

two thoughts on this. Either set at 75db or theres the ian J way which is by ear as SPL meter is not that good with subs

78db (88db with AVIA) for mine. As Bob has mentioned, tried the -6db (under 75db) didn´t like that, 75db (85db AVIA) was ok, but 78db (88db AVIA) is spot on for me.:)

Quick edit! Internal test tones are to 75db, with AVIA test disc its 85db.

Bob

I could see it being -6db below 85db which takes it to 78db's or maybe even 79 db's which ties up with the general consensus here.

You're right though -6db's from 75 db's is far too light for me and even 75db lacks that kick, although it's not too far away so I will try 78db's instead.

Have I read somewhere that Dolby or THX not sure which suggests that reference level in general is 85db's but in the home this converts to 75db's. Could be wrong.

Maybe the -6db's comes from the 85db scenario.

Regards

Just possibly a silly question on the subject of SPL meters.

When taking readings, do you point the meter at each individual speaker as it plays the tone (Sub, L Rear, Right Rear etc) OR just point it to the center front?

I changed the direction when I calibrated mine and now I can barely hear the effects speakers!

Thanks

DaveP

Hold it steady at the listening position with the sensor pointing up or at least very slightly angled see FAQ up top on this issue.

Point the sound meter up (no straight up but at a slight angle) and at or just above ear level.

Do not point the SPL meter towards each speaker.

Regards

I set mine to 72dB (to account for RS spl inaccuracy) and then go by ear from there

As I listen below reference (around -20) I boost the sub to around 79 db calibrated with other speakers 75 db.

I find this a good balance.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom