Calibrating Your Subwoofer - What's Your Settings

S

Stewart C

Using the internal test tone of your amplifier to set all speakers to 75db using an SPL meter. Do you set your subwoofer level to anything other than 75db ?

What is reference level for a subwoofer ?

Regards

B

bob007

Reference levels for subs, take your pick, there are so many, some say 69db, 75db, 78db etc.

Did see a reference for THX settings once that recommended -6db under reference level (75db), I tried it and the bass was to thin, I set mine at 75db same as the other channels, seems a good starting point, then if it's too much lower it and higher it if it's not enough. Since upgrading the sub have mine set +3db above 75db.

P

Philip Newton

two thoughts on this. Either set at 75db or theres the ian J way which is by ear as SPL meter is not that good with subs

Jase

Distinguished Member
78db (88db with AVIA) for mine. As Bob has mentioned, tried the -6db (under 75db) didn´t like that, 75db (85db AVIA) was ok, but 78db (88db AVIA) is spot on for me.:)

Quick edit! Internal test tones are to 75db, with AVIA test disc its 85db.

S

Stewart C

Bob

I could see it being -6db below 85db which takes it to 78db's or maybe even 79 db's which ties up with the general consensus here.

You're right though -6db's from 75 db's is far too light for me and even 75db lacks that kick, although it's not too far away so I will try 78db's instead.

Have I read somewhere that Dolby or THX not sure which suggests that reference level in general is 85db's but in the home this converts to 75db's. Could be wrong.

Maybe the -6db's comes from the 85db scenario.

Regards

D

DaveP

Just possibly a silly question on the subject of SPL meters.

When taking readings, do you point the meter at each individual speaker as it plays the tone (Sub, L Rear, Right Rear etc) OR just point it to the center front?

I changed the direction when I calibrated mine and now I can barely hear the effects speakers!

Thanks

DaveP

P

Philip Newton

Hold it steady at the listening position with the sensor pointing up or at least very slightly angled see FAQ up top on this issue.

S

Stewart C

Point the sound meter up (no straight up but at a slight angle) and at or just above ear level.

Do not point the SPL meter towards each speaker.

Regards

D

Dom H

I set mine to 72dB (to account for RS spl inaccuracy) and then go by ear from there

micb3rd

Novice Member
As I listen below reference (around -20) I boost the sub to around 79 db calibrated with other speakers 75 db.

I find this a good balance.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom