1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calibrating plasma for SKY+

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by deman77, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's clear to me how clibration is done for DVD. One just sticks Video Essentials in and away we go.

But how can this be done with set top box? Clearly, it's a different input, different white balance etc. so needs to be set up separately. How is this done during ISF calibration?

I thought one way would be to take the hard drive out of SKY+, connect it to PC, recode DVE into sky+ friendly format and put it back in. Has anyone ever done anything like this and if so can you describe your workflow?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    The method I use is to use a PAL test disc on the DVD player and emulate the input used by SkyPlus. ie RGB or Svideo or Component.

Before, I configure SkyPlus box correctly and after I pause different scene's to check contrast/brightnes/colour settings. If Sky would broadcast some nice test patterns on some spare channels that wouldbe great...but I doubt it's ever going to happen.

Oh, and for DVD I use more than video essentials. I use a few discs for different tasks.

Hope this is some use,

Gordon

3. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Gordon,

So the assumption is that SKY output characteristics are the same as those on the DVD. Does that mean that it will still look too red after ISF?

I was thinking that if people managed to recode the test patterns from DVE, Avia, THX etc and record them on SKY from PC, you should be able to calibrate it ideally. Is there a way to do that? It shouldn't be too hard as SKY is using FAT and MPEG2.

Another assumption will apply in this case, though. It will be that all SKY channels are the same. Now, if the colour variations between the channels are as significant as the colour variations between SKY and DVD then it's pointless task as far as the grey scale is concerned although should still be good for contrast. What is your opinion? Personally, I think colour shift between BBC1 and SKYNews is noticable, although I can't really tell what's different about them.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    In my experience RGB outputs on different sources tend to be pretty consistent : certainly more so than most other output types.

If TV engineers are doing their jobs properly all the channels should be aiming for consistent criteria. I doubt they are all that different from one station to the next but there is nothing you can do about it anyway so make it easy on yourself.

5. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr.D. do you imply that by calibrating my SKY input (VGA) through DVD player I will achieve the same result as spending half a weekend trying to copy patterns on to the SKY+ harddrive?

6. MikeyB

MikeyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should be, but I'm not so sure about that.
    The RGB output from my 1st Sky Digital (not +) box was completely different from my replacement box.

1st was a Panasonic, and the 2nd a Pace.
    The colours were completely different between the two, on the Panny the whites were yellow compared to the Pace box.

7. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :cool:

I think this suggests that there would be value for Gordon doing it through the box. Which means there is value in this for DIY calibration. :lesson:

This brings us to the next point. How to record DVE and Avia onto SKY+ hard drive. Asking people who pulled out the HDD from their SKY+: have you tried to connect it to your PC and what are the recordings like? Do you reckon we will need a special codec to replicate SKY's format or will anything do?

8. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    No further talk about hacking sky+ HD's in PC's please ...

Thanks

Jon with his mod hat on

9. LCD Man

LCD Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Because discussion about how to 'read' commercially encrypted data falls foul of the forum rules ...

thread closed ...

Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.