calibrating mic advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by frankie13, Jan 11, 2012.

1. frankie13

frankie13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    hi m8s im calibrating a 7.1 set up on the sony 2400es av/amp now my room is square but i will be sitting on the far right of the room , no i cannot move couch of the wall my question is should i place the mic where im sitting and point the left and right front speakers at me or just calibrate with mic as dolby say on there site

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,137
    You should take readings from your seating position, but if you are vastly off centre you will not get the correct surround audio from your speakers. The auto cal process cannot physically pick up speakers and put them where they are supposed to be and the calibration process assumes that your listening position is at least near to where it would be had you followed the speaker placement guide in the manual. While distance and levels will be correct, your position will not be, not just for surround, but also for conventional stereo. Conventional speakers cannot produce the intended soundstage if you are not positioned approximately centre to that stage as opposed to out in the wings somewhere.

3. frankie13

frankie13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    i would say 1.5 m to right of mic is that still to far

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,137
    It depends on your position in relation to the speakers. I've a pretty conventional speaker arrangement and I lose both surround and stereo staging if I veer only a few feet away from my designated listening position.