Calibrating colors under Windows 10 and ICC profiles

DeadStaar

Novice Member
Hi all,
First off, I know it's not the ideal way to calibrate (by eye), but don't want to shell out $200 for one of them Spider calibrators (if that's still the relevant tool).

I downloaded my monitor ICC profile from the manufacturer's website and imported it, via, Windows Color Management. This made everything look very nice but was a bit too deep in the blacks that I was concerned they were crushed. Of course, this could be my doing, since I opted RGB 444 (studio/ full). So, I went into Windows Calibration Tool, to verify the black-points and it completely imported and changed my ICC profile to SRGB. Is this normal behavior for Windows? Is it not possible to calibrate the existing ICC? Anyway, for now I have just popped my RGB into limited mode and it looks much better, but I'd still like to gauge black point. Is there any sort of home/ audio/ gaming calibration software, or charts? That are more in line with how the Xbox handles calibration? For doing it by eye I've always liked the Xbox's method for calibrating.

[Edit:] It turns out Full vs Limited is exactly the same, according to a black point calibration chart from the web and my blacks do not appear to be crushed. I'm still curious as to why Windows would make me use another profile. I love the colors, for movies and gaming with the manufacturer's provided ICC. I just didn't know how to verify which RGB mode to use with the monitor.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom