calibrating azur 752BD with sound level meter

stevenn21

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi techie friends i recently bought an azur 752bd , np30, 551r with x300 and 5 x min21 (all cambridge audio) for my 5.1
and am wanting to calibrate it with a decibel sound meter i am following this tut

Calibrating Your Audio With an SPL Meter - Blu-ray Forum

i have only got a cheap decibel meter this is the meter i bought

Digital Sound Level Noise Decibel Pressure Meter Tester | eBay

i am aware its not very good but its better than the mobile apps for smartphones, and its all i could afford for at least a month
one of my concerns is it doesnt have the range the tut specifies the ranges it can use are
4 ranges: 40-70db, 60-90db, 80-110db and 100-130db.

i am using the test tones on the bd player and not from a disc but i need help calibrating it

i have completed this part:
Setting Up the System

i need help with of Setting Up the SPL Meter part 4
Set the db range on the meter to “75" or “80"

as stated above i dont have this option i only have 4 ranges: 40-70db, 60-90db, 80-110db and 100-130db.

how should i proceed?

i dont have a clue what he is trying to tell me to do in the Reference Level section its hard to follow.
i understand how to do the
Playing Test Tones section

the Measuring and Evaluating the Response section is another part i need help with because i cant specify the correct range with my spl meter do i select 60-90db if so do i measure it from the seating position and still need to get 75 on the spl meter?

"The master volume is not disabled on some receivers when you go to the manual setup menu. For these receivers, you can choose either the left front channel or the center channel and adjust the master volume until you read 75dB on the SPL meter" does my receiver disable the master volume or do i have to follow this step too?

"If you want to calibrate your system more fully, you may want to purchase the AVIA, DVE, or AIX discs. They are designed to work with an SPL meter and do a much better job of generating test tones. They also have specific instructions on how to calibrate your audio system. Most experts recommend that you use them instead of the calibration system built into your receiver"

should i buy one of the discs?

in the section Levels of the Surround Speakers it states "You may want to set the levels of the surround speakers behind you a couple of dBs higher than the levels of the front speakers" but in the bit that follows Finishing Your Calibration it says "Once all of the speakers read the same SPL level, your system is calibrated." so do i set the surround a few decibels higher or keep them all at 75db? because it seems to contradict itself

sorry for the long post but im a bit confused with it all thanks in advance steve

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom