Calibrating an Onkyo TX-NR818 without setup mic

DazWorrall

Novice Member
tl;dr I accidentally reset my Onkyo TX-NR818 and now it sounds awful, any guides or pointers on setting it up from scratch without a setup mic?

I recently moved into a new home complete with home cinema (lucky me, I know). I connected some new equipment to the receiver and gave it a network connection for the first time, looking to explore software remote control options. The Onkyo offered me a firmware update and - after confirming in the manual the settings would be retained - decided to take it. Many minutes later the device restarts and... I am greeted with the initial setup screen. Doh.

I skipped the setup wizard and jumped to input assignment to restore some basic functionality. Once up and running I went looking for the setup mic to calibrate the sound but alas, it's not here, and the previous owner cannot yet find it. I have measured the distance from the speakers to the viewing point and input those figures but things still do not sound right. Stereo content sounds fine, but playing 5.1 content the sound is very unbalanced - dialogue is significantly louder than the background music and sound effects. I am testing with an Apple TV 4K using 5.1 content from iTunes and Disney+, and when I start playing the receiver switches the sound mode to THX Cinema.

Can anyone help me out with some pointers or a guide on what steps I need to go through to calibrate my sound setup? I have some previous experience with Onkyo receivers so can at least navigate the menus etc, but this was professionally installed once upon a time, I doubt I am going to fumble my way through to recovering the original setup (which sounded great when we moved in!) without some help.

rccarguy2

Set speakers to small 80hz.
Buy a dB meter and calibrate levels manually, or use a phone dB app.

DazWorrall

Novice Member
It would have helped if I had posted the speaker details :faceplam:

A Monitor Audio 5.1 set:
  • Front LR - Silver RX6
  • Centre: Silver RX Centre
  • Back LR: RX-FX
Buy a dB meter and calibrate levels manually, or use a phone dB app.

Thanks - are the phone apps accurate enough, or is it better to invest in a meter?

rccarguy2

They're not accurate if you plan to do sweeps but accurate just too get spl from pink noise. Calibrate each speaker to 75db

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom