1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calibrating a TV for NTSC - suggestions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by barnabybear, Apr 27, 2002.

1. barnabybear

barnabybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I'm just in the process of adjusting my Panasonic PL1 for NTSC through the service menu. I've noticed that the NTSC picture appears to be larger than an equivalent PAL one - almost too zoomed showing line structure even in anamorphic. If I go into the service menu, I find that the picture size (V-amplitude etc) is set up exactly the same for PAL as NTSC, however if I reduce the picture size slightly (and width to avoid distortion), then the line structure is less obvious and the picture is brilliant. I'm therefore presuming that the picture should be adjusted differently for PAL and NTSC (They're set up independantly in this model of TV)

My idea to get this adjusted properly is to hire a copy of a film which I already own in R1, play both, measure the picture size (Obviously this film must be 2:35 anamorphic to be able to measure it) and adjust the NTSC image to fit the same height as the PAL one.

Does anyone disagree with this and/or can anyone suggest a better way for me to adjust this.
    Or for that matter - if I'm talking rubbish, please say - I'm an amature in this.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sly Fox

Sly Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony KV-28FD1 16:9 PALPlus and thought the picture was perfect. Then I used the AVIA and DVD-Discovery disk to calibrate the picture. What was wrong; brightness and contrast way too high and sharpness had to be reduced too. The Picture size for PAL and NTSC are both ok. I too can set the picture size and placement for all formats seperately.

Now, I couldn't have a better picture!

If you can set PAL and NTSC seperately then I guess thats good and I would do it if you watch NTSC of course. Here are a few calibration DVD's which have alot of test pictures to set size, sharpness and much more! Some settings can be done over the remote control and for others you need to enter the service menu.

DVD-Discovery for PAL
    AVIA for NTSC
    Video Essentials for NTSC (PAL to come)

Have fun!
    Sly Fox

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been looking for a PAL Calibration disc for ages now. Can DVD Discovery be ordered from that site as I'm afraid I don't speak the language....:(

4. Sly Fox

Sly Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can order the dvd online and you will receive a bill with your parcel. All you need to do is pay the bill through your bank or postoffice. I guess this is a small issue. You will face a bigger task understanding what they're talking about.

Online ordering at Burosch
    Booklet download

It's quite easy once you understand what the testpictures are for.