• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Calibrated HD70 to Infocus X10-Worth the money?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Hi all. :)

I've got an HD70 which I'm very happy with. It was professionally calibrated a few months ago by Gordon from Convergant AV (thanks again Gordon!) and I have no real gripes with it-other than the fact that it's not 1080p and I therefore don't really know what I'm missing! :rolleyes:

I've read the AVForums review of the X10 and now for the first time I find myself wanting/needing a 1080p projector. :rolleyes:

So my dilemma is this-I'd need to spend circa £900 on an X10 (plus potentially another £300 or so to get it calibrated?), so would this amount of money be justified in what I would see on screen going from my 720p HD70?

Cheers all. :thumbsup:

Darkstar_surfer

Prominent Member
I see you have a 95" screen but what is your viewing distance.

Since you have only just had it calibrated and it is a 720P then it may be best to wait till the 1080p market settles. That way next year you may be able to get a 1080p and get it calibrated for less than £1000.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
I see you have a 95" screen but what is your viewing distance.

17 feet away.

Since you have only just had it calibrated and it is a 720P then it may be best to wait till the 1080p market settles. That way next year you may be able to get a 1080p and get it calibrated for less than £1000.

It was calibrated a few months ago, but I'm sure even with a 1080p PJ I will be looking at it wondering how much better it might look if it was calibrated.....:rolleyes:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
At 17ft distance from a 95" screen i doubt that you will see any more sharpness in the image,although you may see benefits in other areas.

You would need to be closer (12-14ft) to get the full benefit over what you have now.

As others have said wait till next year and get some value from your existing kit & calibration as your depreciation will be high when you come to sell.

anibap

Prominent Member
Azzin,

I am in a similar situation like you. I had a HD65 and loved it from the begining. I never thought of selling it but eventually sold it last week.

I watch a PJ with 90 inches diagonal screen from a distance of 8-10 feet. I always thought I may not see a difference between 720p and 1080p. I also had the opportunity to see two 1080p PJs one was the immensely impressive IN83. I saw the IN83 against a In76 (one of the better 720p DLPs). All I can say is 1080p rocks. I know IN83 has more features than resolution but it was the integrity of the image that surprised me.

After that recently I saw the panny AE2000 and felt it was great as well.

In the recent times, I had read about the X10 and HD800x and both offers good 1080p image at a price <1k. I am also interested in the X10 as reviewers has said that it has most of the features similar to the IN83 but with less contrast and brightness.

Getting a X10 could be like a IN83 in budget spec but better than my HD65. I have studied X10 in detail (from internet) and the sharpness and shadow detail factor seems like the best of the lot and even better than some premium >2k PJs.

I am finding it difficult to select between the X10, HD800x and X9 (stop gap 720p DLP). The throw of X10 seems to be a problem for me.

IRobot

Prominent Member
I would hang on a while incase Dabs send out vouchers again. I went from a HD72i to an X10. £820 for the X10 was a price too good to ignore. As for calibration, £14 for DVE HD should do it :).

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
I am finding it difficult to select between the X10, HD800x and X9 (stop gap 720p DLP). The throw of X10 seems to be a problem for me.
Same predicament I'm currently in. Why ,oh why are all the 1080p DLPs longer throw than all 720p models?! :confused:

Having got the must upgrade itch (original intent to go 1080p) I'm now considering getting a better 720p. The X9 looks promising but their aren't enough reviews or owners on here to give the definitive opinion of it I need .

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom