• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

calibrate question.

andyuk1

Standard Member
hello all,when u buy a projector do u need to calibrate it and how hard is it to do.if u can do it yourself what software do u need to calibrate a projector.Basically i am getting a projector soon and i see all these screenshots without calibration and with.and there is a lot of difference between them.I dont fancy paying somebody to pop in and turn a few settings and say thats£100 quid please:( any info welcome thx.

Zone

First port of call for the majority would be set-up discs, Digital Video Essentials or Avia.

With Mod hat on can I ask you to watch your "text speak" please we have a lot of oversees visitors to the forums whose first language isn't English and writing "u" instead of "you" doesn't make the task of reading your post any easier :)

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I believe they can ask up to £250 for someone to do a calibration for you. I have found the THX optomisers are sufficient for my needs. The ones on the R2 Star Wars DVD's are the best. I also use my eye to see what I think it should be like. There is no point in someone doing it if my own eyes sees something different.

Once the PJ has been in operation for a while, the settings may need to be tweaked slightly.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Depending what projector you end up buying there may well be an 'Owners' thread for it with recommended settings that will at least give you a starting point.....then use DVE or the THX setups mentioned above. :)

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
hello all,when u buy a projector do u need to calibrate it and how hard is it to do.if u can do it yourself what software do u need to calibrate a projector.Basically i am getting a projector soon and i see all these screenshots without calibration and with.and there is a lot of difference between them.I dont fancy paying somebody to pop in and turn a few settings and say thats£100 quid please:( any info welcome thx.

Just raised this question on the calibration thread, Seems there is a mete require for grey scale at about £100. I am less bothered about the £250 one off more bothered about having to do it every time I tweek something :eek:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I am less bothered about the £250 one off more bothered about having to do it every time I tweek something :eek:

If you pay £250 for it to be calibrated there shouldn't be any need to tweek anything. ;) Otherwise if you buy a meter, then you can tweak away to your heart's content ( and I'm guessing that's what I'd do if I bought a meter :D).

Avi

Distinguished Member
If you pay £250 for it to be calibrated there shouldn't be any need to tweek anything. ;) Otherwise if you buy a meter, then you can tweak away to your heart's content ( and I'm guessing that's what I'd do if I bought a meter :D).

With a PJ the characteristics of the lamp output changes with useage. This means calibration drifts. Hence out of the box calibration or one off ISF settings will not remain the same as hours get added the lamp.

AVI

andyuk1

Standard Member
just got a hd75projector.picture looks great with a hd source but seems very bright and to much colour when viewing normal source.Will have to have a mess with the settings when i get it properly setup.think i will try that thx method.seems the easiest and cheapest.:D Projector came with no free mount and no lamp voucher,they said they are sorting it out.:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom