1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calexico

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by karkus30, Mar 15, 2003.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Been listening to this for quite a while now, sublime laid back soundscapes, mixed with swirling sci fi synth, brass, pedal steel and too many other instruments, all with an country overtone.

You owe it to yourself to get this Album, sit back feet up with a can of cold larger and your snake skin boots propped up on a table, soak in the sounds of the desert life, imagine your there under the hot dry sun and prickly cactus. Superb stuff.

Think I will go and put it on right now.

2. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've not heard the new one, but Calexico's "Hot Rail" album from a couple of years ago was a minor classic and well worth checking out.

In fact, I think I'll put it on right now.

3. thamesider

thamesider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a good review for their latest (4th) album - Feast of Wire, in todays Mail on Sunday (p75)

Quote's - " A wonderful piece of work it is too" and " For the most part its gripping"

I might have to take a listen.

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Feast of wire is the album I have been listening to. Its definitely worth buying.

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Anyone bought 'Feast of Wire' (except me, that is ). Well Im going to keep on 'bumping ' till somebody else listens to it:p

Im sick of listening to my own opinion, if you dont, then I shall start a ' favourite c & w bands' thread:D

6. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I hope to buy this CD on my next trip to the music store. I don't mind if you start a western and kuntry thread.:)

7. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Well, I did buy it and I liked it. It's a nice album and I liked the way they mixed marimba with rock and country. I thought they would have more instumental numbers after all the comparrisons to The Friends Of Dean Martinez that I had heard. They both use steel guitar rather inovatively but the guy who plays for The Friends is way better maybe in a league all by himself...? The Friends are all instumental. I might buy another Calexico album sometime? I liked FEAST OF WIRE enough to consider another.

Well, ya don't's hab tu threaten that other thread anymore...:) Best wishes!

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Phew...............................I ve gone all folky now, so...........:D

9. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I just got Calexico's THE BLACK LIGHT. I like it more than than FEAST OF WIRE. I'd nearly swear that the peddle steel player is the one ( I like so much) from the Friends Of Dean Martinez, especially on THE RIDE Pt.2. Anybody know?