Calendar Software

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
Mods: Please move this if you think it's in the wrong thread, but I think GC will reach a wider readership.

I'm looking for a replacement for my Outlook 2003, which is past its useful life, but I don't want to pay the £100 or so which it costs. I don't need all its features, but I do use:
  • email client
  • Calendar/Appointments
  • To-Do lists
  • Popup reminders with 'snooze' feature (v important to me. I use them all the time)
It's all simple stuff, no group meetings, lots of extra detail, etc. I reckon Windows Live Mail client will meet the email requirement, but I can't find a decent calendar product. Windows Calendar no longer supports reminders.

A To-do list can be provided via calendar appointments if necessary, so it's not essential in itself.

The nearest alternative I can find is T'Bird. I tried it once and couldn't get on with it, but maybe I'll give it another go.

Any ideas? Thanks

D

Deleted member 27989

I appreciate not answering your question, but why is Outlook past its useful life? 2003 is used in many many corporate organisations and doesn't expire ;-)

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
Does office 2003 still have compatibility issues with Vista/Windows 7 or did they patch them?

I don't know what you do for a job, but it might be worth checking if your company is part of the Microsoft Home Use Program, I got Office 2010 Professional for £17 via the HUP and love Outlook 2010.

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
It's been misbehaving oddly ever since I installed IE9, and it doesn't seem any too happy with Vista.

Perhaps I overdid its 'past it' tag a little, but I'd simply like to move on a bit.

I've just downloaded T'Bird/Lightning, and they seem OK so far.

Being retired, I no longer have access to cheap office software.

Marc

Distinguished Member
you can also try Windows Live mail which links into your hotmail account or a pop3 account. It looks pretty similar to Outlook but is free. Not sure if it has all the functions you listed but only one way to find out

Toko Black

In Memoriam
Have you checked out Googles freebie offerings based around the gmail client .... it's all free and syncs up with android apps.

That has calendar, appointments etc etc.

I'd never bothered with it myself until I got an android phone and then found it reasonably useful.

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
Thanks, guys. :thumbsup:

I've spent quite a bit of time today, and discovered that:

Google Calendar synched to Google Mail will do the job, as has been said. However, I hit a snag with importing from Outlook: apparently I need the Google Apps Control Panel, which seems only available to business users with their own domain names.

Thunderbird/Lightning works well. It's very similar to Outlook, and I've managed to import my mail OK from Outlook. Unfortunately, Outlook won't export its own calendar very well, so I've still some work to do to transfer my appointments/tasks. I'll probably go with it, though I haven't burnt my boats yet on Outlook.

Btw, Office might only be about £90, but that's the Home and/or Student edition which doesn't include Outlook. That costs another £80-£90 in itself, whether you buy it bundled with Office or standalone, which is why I'm still using O'2003, when the rest of my Office is 2007.

Importing what from Outlook?

You can import contacts via their gmail webpage and google calendar sync will do the appointments for you!

Thanks, guys. :thumbsup:

I've spent quite a bit of time today, and discovered that:

Google Calendar synched to Google Mail will do the job, as has been said. However, I hit a snag with importing from Outlook: apparently I need the Google Apps Control Panel, which seems only available to business users with their own domain names.

Thunderbird/Lightning works well. It's very similar to Outlook, and I've managed to import my mail OK from Outlook. Unfortunately, Outlook won't export its own calendar very well, so I've still some work to do to transfer my appointments/tasks. I'll probably go with it, though I haven't burnt my boats yet on Outlook.

Btw, Office might only be about £90, but that's the Home and/or Student edition which doesn't include Outlook. That costs another £80-£90 in itself, whether you buy it bundled with Office or standalone, which is why I'm still using O'2003, when the rest of my Office is 2007.

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
Importing what from Outlook?

You can import contacts via their gmail webpage and google calendar sync will do the appointments for you!
Except, as I say, it won't. The import (Mail, Contacts, Calendar) halts very quickly, suggesting that I should turn on MAPI, I think it is, in the Google Apps Control Panel. But I don't have access to that because I don't have a domain name.

Unless you can advise otherwise? I'd be grateful. Tks :)

alpine101

I was able to import my diaries from Apple iCal to the free Mozilla Sunbird which works well on Win 7. I think it is able to import any calendars set up in one of the standard formats. Sunbird is a freestanding application that doesn't require other Mozilla progs.

Last edited:

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
Have you tried 'sharing' a calendar and importing it like that?
I can't tell you how to do it, so you'd have to google that. But in current versions you can 'Publish to Office.com', but maybe 2003 doesn't support it, then you can access it as an ics which I think works with google.

I know Outlook is expensive at £90 (or £175 for Office Business), but I think I would pay £90 for it if I wasn't getting it for less than £20 :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom