Calendar question (how to use multiple calendars)

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by CJSIMPSON, Feb 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a company email and calendar which I use on a laptop, I also have my personal calendar and email on home pc.

Until now I have had them seperate but I have recently got the it department to set my personal iphone up so i can get my work email.

I went into settings and was going to add the calendar function but it said it would remove existing calendars from my phone.

Is there a way I can have both my wor calendar and home calendar and the same for my contacts? If so could someone please explain how to do it as I dont want to lose all my info.

Thanks

2. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    anyone?

Surely someone must use their calendar and also sync to a work (exchange calendar/mail)

3. shardsta

shardsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I have my home outlook calendar syncing with my work calendar via the use of a blackberry and google calendar , contacts are covered too. If thats no good try a website called plaxo that may help

4. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is what I want to do not possible then?

I dont think my request is that unusual or complex. I want to have my iphone sync via exchange server at work for my work email, contacts and calendar but also I want to be able to have my own personal calendar and email too.

I want to be able to do this without any additional software if possible i.e. google calendar.

5. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This issue is really bothering me now as I think it shold be plain and simple.

I was thinking a sloution might be to put all my home calendar entries onto my work pc which will then enable syncing of calendar via work server and I can also do this for contacts. My problem then would be that if I altered anything on my pc contacts or added a calendar entry it wouldnt be amended on the iphone even after a sync, likewise if i changed contact details on the iphone it woulnt be reflected on my home pc. Im not bothered about over the air syncing with my home pc as I never add anything there unless my iphone is docked anyway.

Does anyone have a solution to this as there must be lots of people in the same boat as me, I dont mind having my contacts and calendars mixed up if I have to but I would like evrything to sync (not nescessarily over the air)

6. ciandrews

ciandrews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Do you have a MobileMe account?
    I have been reading you can sync Exchange and MobileMe Calendars on the same phone. Might be worth trying out. If you haven't got MobileMe, do the free trial, at least you can test it to see if it works before committing to it :)

Edit:read this Apple Article http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2483

7. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that, I had already seen a bit about mobileme but the article you linked to clarifies it. I still dont think I should have to pay £60 per year for that service though as I am not bothered about it syncing over the air from my home pc. I am happy for it to only sync my home pc data when I dock it.
    Is there an alternative to this?

8. ciandrews

ciandrews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hmm
    The only other option I can think of involves Google Calendar, and having a jailbroken phone - I haven't tried this myself so I am not too sure how effective it would be but I suppose it's worth a pop

I presume you are using Outlook on your home PC? If you installed Google Calendar Sync Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help it would sync between your PC and Google.
    Then on your iPhone, using Cydia, install a Program called NemusSync. NemusSync - sync between google and iPhone This allows for Bi-Directional Sync between Google and iPhone's calendar.

In theory it should work, but don't hold me to it! :)

9. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers ciandrews I might have a look at that. The only problem then as far as I can see briefly would be my contacts as they would never get synced from or to my iphone and home PC. If i was out and about and edited someones address on my iphone it would never get changed on my desktop even after docking.

I find it very strange that apple havent included an option to have two calendars running simultaneosly or even merge them. In fat they have the facility for two or more calendars but only when they are synced from one PC and not from any other source (funny that eh? what with a £60 service on offer).

Surely most people these days that have an iphone will try and use it for business and pleasure. That means being able to use exchange server for work email, contact and calendar then sync via cable/docking to home pc (I dont need updates over the air at home as Im at home to change them or when im at home ive got my iphone docked). I only want to sync contacts and calendar at home as I have imap sky email whch is setup on my iphone so email isnt an issue. My main problem is I want my own calendar and worek on my iphone and possibly contacts.

This is really getting to me having to use this program and that then something else for what is a very simple task.

Come on Apple sort it out (another thing to add to the list of native apps to add)

Rant over now (sorry)
    Can anyone help with alternatives or is it a case of bodge through it for now?

10. ciandrews

ciandrews

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just had another poke about (anything to wake me up before I go to work on early starts...)
    I found something else, its called NuevaSync
    NuevaSync - Over the Air Synchronization
    have a read about how to set it up here
    Nuevasync: Over the Air Syncing of Calendar and Contacts for your iPhone or iPod Touch | The iLife

Looks like it uses another Exchange account. From what I can make out it is free(i think!) as it's in beta. So whether they may charge in the future I don't know

There is always a way :thumbsup:

Edit: I may even try this out myself later - I'd like to Sync some of my calendars to the missus' iPhone from mine, so if I need to remind her of stuff I can over the air!

11. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I thought that the iphone would only sync with one exchange source therefore if is set my iphone to sync with this service it wouldnt then sync to my work exchange server i.e. it will only work with one service of this type.

12. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have another spanner in the works, I went to google to sign up for a calendar which I did but when I logged in it said another calendar was already set up with this email. I have tried all the password reset options there to try and re-set it up to no avail. I cant remember my usernames or anything. Basically I need google to cancel my old account which I cant ever remember setting up then I can move forward with my new one.

13. monksy74

monksy74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    I've been using nuevasync for about 6 months now and it works brilliantly.

You have to share your calendar with nuevasync (effectively giving them access to your calendar so they can send it down) but you don't give them any passwords.

I also use google calendar sync on my work's PC to put my work calendar into my google calendar.

Be aware when you first sync the calendar it will remove everything that's currently in the phone's calendar - same would go for your contacts if you synced them

14. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If i used this to sync my calendar at home would it still allow me to use my work exchange email and calendar? from what I can gather it wouldnt which is a shame as my company have a strict it policy so i couldnt share my work calendar any other way than through my iphone.

I dont think what I want to do is possible is it?

15. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Just registered and started using this service, another thumbs up from me so far - even got multiple calendar support.

16. No1Joker

No1Joker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Heads up to those "old time" users of nuevasync (which is probably just me) but the multi calendar thing is a recent addition. As of the last time i looked it was not an option.

This is great i'll change all my previous work arounds for this. This puts nuevasync as by far the best option for syncing calendars over the air, plus its FREE (my favourite price!)

17. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Has this turned into a nueva sync thread?

18. No1Joker

No1Joker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I think the answer is Yes, especially if your looking for a free way to have multi calendars pushed to your phone.

There are other solutions but none seem to work as well. Don't need to JB either.

19. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    What would you like it to turn into considering it appears that Nueva Sync could be your only option? :confused:

20. CJSIMPSON

CJSIMPSON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It would be an option if I could successfully access my google calendar, the proem is I have tried logging in with all the details I have and have clicked on all the forgotten password pages etc to no avail. I must have previously regsitered but I dont remember and I dont have access to any of my previous email addresses so I am stuck. I cant start a new one as it says my email adress is linked to another calendar/account or something like that.

I am now totally stuck I cant access google calendar to use that and dont have another option.

21. No1Joker

No1Joker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Google Mobile - Sync

I know you're stuck and can't login, but if anyone else is looking for a alternative solution. Google have released their own push sync-ing calendar :thumbsup:

22. leeb1977

leeb1977
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried using this but it's just deleted all my contacts on my Iphone..

Is this not supposed to work with Sky Mail??

:suicide:

Cheers,

Lee

23. No1Joker

No1Joker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I only read through it quickly but i remember that being a clear warning.

...Just had another look and there a naffing great warning triangle next to this

"During Sync setup, the iPhone will delete your contacts and calendar information. Please back up your data:
    PC instructions - Mac instructions.
    Google Sync is a beta product.
    Please visit the Help Center to review known limitations."

You do realise this is a Google product? How on earth are you expecting it to work with SkyMail?

...move along people nothing to see here :rolleyes: