Calculation check and opinions please!

Jason Bourne

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Is there any chance some of you guys with a bit of experience can check the dimensions in the drawing below ?

I'm going to take the plunge and buy a projector and screen, but I'd like a second opinion on the position of the kit just to confirm that it's OK. Due to the shape of the room its non-negotiable apart from an inch either way.

The projectors I'm thinking of are an Infocus IN81 http://www.infocus.com/Products/Projectors/IN81.aspx
or the Optima HD80 http://www.optoma.co.uk/projectorde...C&PTypedb=High+Definition+Home+Cinema&PC=HD80

For the screen, Possibly a Beamax 92" http://www.beamax.com/projection-sc...ction-screen/ecran-de-projection-electrique_2

Any other comments or nuggets of wisdom will be greatfully recieved.

Thanks

Attachments

• Projector setup.JPG
    Projector setup.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 58
Hi,

You seem to have calculated everything ok.
I did a quick check based on the HD80 and the 92" screen.

Looking at the screensize calculator on the optoma site, the distance between PJ and screen you have set is well within the zoom range of the HD80 so no problems there.

The PJ has vetical lens shift so you are not obliged to have the PJ dropped the same distance from the ceiling as the screen. Looking at the instruction, the PJ seems to have a higher 'native' vertical offset than shown in your diagram. I'm not sure what ceiling bracket you you have or are going to buy, but i'd try to get one which will allow some lateral position adjustment once installed, just in case things don't align perfectly.

I made my own ceiling bracket and had to takje advantage of this feature, but if you install it very accurately in the first place, it should be ok without.

Good luck!

Jason

Hi,

You seem to have calculated everything ok.
I did a quick check based on the HD80 and the 92" screen.

Looking at the screensize calculator on the optoma site, the distance between PJ and screen you have set is well within the zoom range of the HD80 so no problems there.

The PJ has vetical lens shift so you are not obliged to have the PJ dropped the same distance from the ceiling as the screen. Looking at the instruction, the PJ seems to have a higher 'native' vertical offset than shown in your diagram. I'm not sure what ceiling bracket you you have or are going to buy, but i'd try to get one which will allow some lateral position adjustment once installed, just in case things don't align perfectly.

I made my own ceiling bracket and had to takje advantage of this feature, but if you install it very accurately in the first place, it should be ok without.

Good luck!

Jason

Thanks very much for the reply.

The projector has to have a 450mm drop so it sits under the level of the livingroom lights, and it will be mounted on a home brew bracket.

The bottom of the screen viewing area also has to sit above the level of the TV (not shown) , and when you add on the 1145mm height this takes the top to the same height as the PJ, 450mm from the ceiling. This was the bit I was worried about, having the screen top and projector at the same level with almost no margin for error.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom