Question Caddy for 3.5" HDD with Firewire

sep8001

Hi

I have a iomega drive which is very similar to this one:

Amazon product
I have a 2tb drive which is working fine, but when I swap the drive to a 4tb one I can only see 2tb so looks like the firmware in the iomega drive is restricted to 2tb (it is old). I have also tested the drive in a unitek sata HDD caddy and even that only see the HDD as 2tb. Placing the HDD in the WD MyBook case I can see the full 4tb.

So I believe the issues is that both the Iomega and the unitek firmware cannot deal with driver > 2tb.

Are there other devices, do not want a nas and my machine does not have a USB3 that would be able to use the 4tb + drives for backup purposes?

Thank you

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Firewire is long dead, so it'll be a case of seeing what comes up second hand for that.

If you don't want to use USB or Ethernet then what other connections does your computer have (and any free internal expansion slots if it's a desktop)?

sep8001

Firewire is long dead, so it'll be a case of seeing what comes up second hand for that.

If you don't want to use USB or Ethernet then what other connections does your computer have (and any free internal expansion slots if it's a desktop)?

Hi

It is an old Dell Optiplex 790 mini tower so not many options internally. Don’t mind usb but would perfect with a switch.

Thank you

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Hi

It is an old Dell Optiplex 790 mini tower so not many options internally. Don’t mind usb but would perfect with a switch.

Thank you

Is it specifically the Mini Tower/MT model or are you just describing it as a dimutive tower-shaped case? The largest form factor in the Optiplex 790 range went by the name of Mini Tower and had full height PCI-Express slots.

I don't see any mention of the Optiplex 790 coming with Firewire so I suspect that's probably an expansion card itself.

sep8001

Hi

Yes it is the mini tower which I have added a firewire card to, to capture footage from my
Mini dv camcorder, the other slot have a Gt710 GPU. I think there is one free slot which I presume I could add a usb3 card.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Yeah, or potentially something faster such as Thunderbolt should you wish to.

Although the costs start rising quite a bit as the enclosures are also more expensive and you need SSDs instead of hard drives to take advantage of the extra speed. USB 3.0/3.1 is the sensible choice for hard drives.

sep8001

Thank you all for the suggestion, have gone with a usb 3 PCI and connected the wd drive to and it a lot faster compared to my usb 2.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom