1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabling

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by markp, Oct 14, 2003.

1. markp

markp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I hear a lot about buying the right cable and how this makes a difference.

Monster cable (www.monstercable.com) claim that they can reduce jitter so digital sound is less colder and more realistic.

What exactly is happening in the cable (ie the electrons) to make the difference?

2. markp

markp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Maybe I have answered my own question. It seems that resistance is the main (only) concern according to this site

The upshot is that it's a waste of money buying expensive speaker cable. Comments?

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Markp....not sure whether you're asking about digital interconnects or speaker cables here....or both.
    You will find that a search on either topic here should bring a wealth of opinion on both.
    As far as digital cabling goes,it's not just the impedance(which should be 75ohm for digital)but also the quality of the cable,it's shielding,and the cable terminations....so much has been written on this,that I won't go further than to say that with good equipment,good cabling makes a big contribution.
    The same can be said for good quality speaker cables,partnered with good amps and speakers....there's relatively little point in buying very expensive cables for inexpensive gear,if you're not planning on an upgrade.