Cabling specification advice

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Garioch, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    Hi all,

I'm trying to plan the cable route for my home cinema. The plan is to keep the cables completely hidden (potentially run them inside the wall) and have them terminate using a wall plate next to the AVR (or similar - open to suggestions). Note that I haven't bought any items yet; I'm just planning the wiring for now.

The TV I plan on buying is the C8. Its outputs are:
    a) 4x HDMI 2.0b
    b) 3x USB
    c) Terrestrial tuner
    d) Satellite tuner
    e) Ethernet port
    f) Optical digital out
    g) Analogue line out / headphone jack
    h) Common interface

As mentioned, I plan on having a wall plate termination next to the AVR. The TV will be wall mounted. Could someone advise what I would need cable-wise between the TV and the wall plate? I am thinking that I would need 4x CAT 6 (for the 4x HDMI). Aside from that, I'm stumped. I have the following questions:

1. Would the 4x CAT 6 cables (for HDMI) need to be shielded or unshielded?
    2. What cables do I need to extend the 3x USB connections from the TV to the wall plate?
    3. If one of the HDMIs support ARC, is there any point in running a cable for the optical digital out (from TV to wall plate)?
    4. Similarly, is there any point in running the analogue line out (from TV to wall plate)?
    5. I don't plan on getting SKY but the house does have both a TV antenna and satellite dish. Is there any merit in running 2x coaxial cables (one from antenna, one from satellite dish) to the back of the TV?
    6. I plan on running a CAT 6 from the BT home hub (located in another room) to the TV. Again, can this be shielded or unshielded?

I also have similar questions relating to the projector (this I do own but never used - a JVC HD 350).

Thanks a lot.

cabling.jpg

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    Connectivity - unless you are holding out for a TV and AVR which support eARC (late 2018/early 2019) the normal connectivity will be Source(s) > AVR > TV+Display (all over HDMI).

TV Audio - eARC has still to arrive so for now it is ARC or Optical. ARC relies on CEC which can be temperamental so its is best to include the TV > AVR Optical cable as a backup.

Wall plates - Analogue signals are usually OK with terminated wall plates. Digital signals such as HDMI are best kept as a single point-to-point connection and use a Brush style plate.

HDMI over CAT - can't see why you are considering that for your connectivity plan. Up to 8m you can use a Premium High Speed copper cable and for longer runs you can go with a Hybrid Fibre HDMI cable.

Conduit - ideally you run a cable way between the AVR and the TV plus the AVR and the Projector - that way if thing fail, are damaged or become obsolete you can 'easily' replace a cable or two.

Network - most devices (TV, Projector, AVR and all Sources) will require a single CAT cable to get on your network. Run a single CAT cable from the HomeHub to the kit cabinet, add a multi-port switch then run cables out to the Projector, TV, AVR etc And don't forget to wire for a wireless access point in the Cinema Room.

Aerial/Dish feeds - will cost little to install and may provide you with some options at a later date.

Joe

PS TV - C8? (Always best to provide full Manufacturer/Product codes).

3. Garioch

Garioch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    Thanks Joe.

Apologies the TV I have my eye on is the 2018 LG C8 65" (LG C8 (OLED65C8PLA) Review).

How do you extend optical cable from the TV to the avr? Is there such a thing as buying lengths of optical cable?

I hadn't considered conduits before. You make a strong arguement there.

I assumed HDMI over cat 6 but if the distance isn't that big, I'll look into this hybrid fibre HDMI. Incidentally, is there a disadvantage with HDMI over cat 6 (compared with hybrid fibre HDMI)?

Thanks a lot.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,424
    HDMI over CAT - requires you to install HDMI Extenders, currently HDMI Extenders which cater for full bandwidth 4K UHD signals are relatively expensive and have to use 'visually lossless' compression with higher bandwidth 4K signals and very few cater for ARC.

Hybrid Fibre HDMI - again relatively expensive, though no image compression is required and will carry ARC.

AVR > TV - your drawing looks like your cable run will be under 8m so you should be OK with a Premium High Speed cable, there is no need to install 4x HDMI cables between the AVR and the TV.

AVR > Projector - that is where a Hybrid Fibre HDMI cable is likely required and as before run it in a conduit or beside a conduit (with a pre installed pull cord) to allow you to pull through a spare at a future date.

TV > AVR Optical Digital Audio - 10m (and longer) 'Optical' cables are available and are relatively inexpensive.

Joe