Cabling Satellite

tintin81

Standard Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

At present I have installed;
- Sky dish with quad lnb
- Sky HD+ using magic eye and loft box (hd cable + 1 coax)
- Sky box (freeview card) using magic eye and 2nd loft box.

I have a tv tuner card for my pc which as it turns out is a dual tuner.

So I have a wee head ache in that I have 4 lines from LNB and 5 places each wanting a line. Should I forget about one of the inputs for the TV card or is there something clever I can do??

Thanks in advance
Martin

Hi Martin and welcome to Satellite.
The answer depends on whether you want to use both inputs on the PVR or on the card, doesn't it?:confused:
You already have four different channels at a time - is another vital enough to do something about it?
If it is then the answer is simple - replace the quad LNB with an octo.
Freeview is free terrestrial TV from an aerial, and doesn't use cards, so maybe that's a FreeSatFfromSky card.

I have a tv tuner card for my pc which as it turns out is a dual tuner.

Are you saying this is a satellite tuner card, (GHz), or a TV, (UHF), tuner card - makes a big difference!
(You don't get "TV" from a Sky dish.)

Last edited:
Hm - I missed that - it balances out the "eye box" that you didn't get. :)

A lot of good pointers so thanks for that. I have a freesat dual tuner.

The octo lnb might be ok but it will be a real pain running additional cables..possible however!

Freesat is the name of the organisation that provides an EPG for the broadcasters that pay to be on it, and that's normally available only on machines that they authorise, not on any other devices such as tuner cards.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
TBS TBS6981 PCI-E DVB-S2 Dual Tuner Satellite TV card Watch & Record FreeSat HD | eBay

Were you up late last night or something? :laugh:

(Told you it wouldn't last)

It's misleading. Its a free to air HD DVB-S2 dual tuner card. As all the channels on the Freesat-epg are free to air of course it can record these. Whether it has the Freesat epg which is the only thing Freesat transmit is very doubtfull. Unlike a genuine Freesat box the HD recordings won't be encrypted.

Unlike a genuine Freesat box the HD recordings won't be encrypted.

My ignorance, but you've got me there. Why would a "genuine Freesat box" record encrypted?

My ignorance, but you've got me there. Why would a "genuine Freesat box" record encrypted?

Because they have to when recording HD content. It's a flag in the transmission used by the broadcasters that causes Freesat+ boxes to encrypt content as they record it. Same on Sky and Freeview-HD.

It's a mandatory part of the spec for Freesat+ certification.

Last edited:
Their machines "encrypt" in the sense of maling recordings that only they can play back.

Slight clarification, only the box that recorded it can play it back. Every box has a unique encryption key most likely generated from serial number and mac address.

Yes, I could have worded that more precisely.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom