1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabling problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by thelaw, Dec 27, 2003.

1. thelaw

thelaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have a BD801s which is thankfully now totally installed. I am however having one problem, horrible and pretty apparent ghosting on the image (666P res).

I have moved the htpc closer and used a 2M cable, and the ghosting disappears. As it stands, when the htpc is in its position a good few metres away, there is a belkin 7.5m vga extension cable going to the 2m breakout cable.

So, looks like im going to have to buy more cables :( can anyone recommend a cable ~10 (pref. d-sub to BNC) that will not present these artefacts? i've been looking at the Lindy cables, would this be a good choice?

Cheers,
    Jon

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi thelaw,

Interesting thread to watch, becasue i'm after an VGA cable for my Barco Data 801s as well.

Currently running via S-Video from DVD Player, and i REALLY would love to lose the scan lines !! :(

The other thing, is it's been stated on the forums many times before. But i thought getting a VGA to Barco port 3 cable would be better ?? Port 3 is designed for the 0.7 volt signal from your PC video card, And port 5 is designed for 1v signals from say a DVD player, scaler ect. ??

Anybody want to chip in, and confirm this info is correct ?? Becasue i was gonna go via the port 3 route.

Cheers

Cosmic023

3. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    crt projectors makes both cables, I bought my cables from www.avcables.com a few years ago.

Port 3 also can handle + and - syncs, so you'll see all standard res inc 800x600.

I use a vga to port 3 fron the dvi out (less filters) on my radeon and pic is very sharp.

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Looks like you found your answer - ghosting caused by signal loss through the cable.

I use some 300MHz bandwidth Extron cable from RGB Communications which gives good results at 5 mtrs from a laptop without need for a booster. I have had 10 mtrs from the VGA output of a scaler at 768P without any visible loss.

The RGB website has pricing guides for custom cables and a very good resource section explaining why good cable is important.

You could also try Joe Fernande or do a search of this forum for alternative suppliers.

Regards

5. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks for the tips on the cables,

Nathan:
    I've emailed the AVcable company so see if they can do on a 5 meter VGA - Port 3 cable.

The best i've seen so far, is £80 from CRT Projectors.co.uk......

I was just gonna get a basic VGA - VGA cable, and resolder a 9 pin dsub on the other end. Is it worth doing the DIY cable, or should i just go with the custom cable ??

What does everyone else use to connect their Barco PJ to the HTPC ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

PS: Just looked at the link Chris posted, for a custom cable of the type i want it's £65 + P&P costs extra.

6. thelaw

thelaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been reading about the use of Cat5 cable in video/vga cabling. This would be great for me as I have heaps of STP and UTP. Anyone have any ideas or opinions on this?

Cheers,
    Jon

7. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well i've just had a mail from the AV Cable Company in the US, they've quoted me $102.19 (£57.60) including shipping.

Ah well there's not a lot in it, between the three offers. I'll make a purchase in the next day or so.

Jon:
    I've been reading lot's about this cat5 cable in the cable / DIY forums here. Stuff about braiding the stuff into multicables for use as speaker cable and audio interconnects. Same goes for this DIY power cable thing, been looking at that as well.

Back to the old chestnut, do these advanced cables really work ?? Is it worth the effort / money ??

8. thelaw

thelaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i've ordered stuff from maplin to make the cat5 vga cable, gonna wire hd15 to barco port 3. Cost £4, I will report back on whether it actually works :)

Jon

9. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well that sounds cool TheLaw hope it works out, bargain price to boot ;)

I suppose you'd have to braid the cable as well, before soldering the connections on ??

Look forward to the end result............

Cheers

Cosmic023

10. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry to chip in but I can't see cat5 cable being a good idea. Cat5 cable is not 75ohms impedance, which for carrying video over any sort of distance is very important. There are arguments to be made for relatively low frequency audio interconnects and speaker cable about the importance of 75 ohm cable impedance but not for video. This means that good quality coaxial cable is your only choice.

11. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi All,

Well i've gone with a 5m custom cable from www.avcables.com, should be here in about 5 days.

I'll post back with more details soon as i have the cable, and let you know what i think.

Cheers

Cosmic023

12. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The single most important thing is get a screened cable which is where your vga cable let you down I suspect.
    I'm not a great fan of the port 3 input it goes a very long route before it connects back to the RGB input but it does sort out some sync and low voltage inputs.

13. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi All,

Well i received my cable yesterday from AV-Cables, nice build quality and looks great as cables go.

Still fighting with the HTPC & powerstrip, trying to find an ideal resolution. I've got it currently set at 1024x768 @ 60hz refresh, and it looks great. It was actualy easier to setup from scratch than is was via s-video, not sure why ??

But then i've still gotta build my 16:9 screen yet. (using an older mkII 4:3 version 1.0 gain screen at the moment, which is looking a bit tired, but then it still works.)

Anybody got any tips to get the best out of my BD801s using a HTPC ?? Currently running PowerDVD XP v4, but will be using Dscaler / TV-Card setup soon as i get the card back. Using s-video via my Sony DVD player into the TV-Card.

Cheers

Cosmic023

Edit: I don't think powerstrip is compatible with my GF4 MX440 video card, keeps resetting to the default resolution ?? Time to upgrade ??

14. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well i've just got a new video card........good price on ebay.
    Radeon 128mb 9200se

That should be a better video card in the HTPC, over the GF4 440MX.

Cheers

Cosmic023

Edit: And it's the model with a heatsink, and not a noisy fan !! :clap:

15. thelaw

thelaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cosmic: Happy to hear about your cable success. I made the CAT5 cable (with UTP) but got horrible ghosting (but to be honest, my actual cable is virtually the same).

Thing that has pleased me is that I finally have a cable that works, and it cost me only £15! I bought a cheap shielded 10 metre VGA cable from a place called cable universe and have no ghosting whatsoever! very very pleased with it.

What kind have focus have you managed from your 801s? i've got it pretty much as close as possible but I always have myself wondering if it could be slightly better (probably because I had an LCD projector previously). Done mechanical and electrostatic focus. My blue is pretty worn so im sure that a contributing factor. The image is pinsharp on the CRT face. Best res i've got from mine so far is 800x600@60hz. 888x666@60hz is also very nice (i'm running 4:3 ratio) 1024x768 seems a bit soft on my set. I have no screen yet though, just using the wall, and it reflects the light very badly.

I have the plastic HD-8 lenses, which Im told are identical to the metal housed ones in terms of elements (can anyone confirm this?). I just seem to be able to remember tighter focus on my old BG800 which had the metals.

Cheers,
    Jon

16. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    TheLaw:
    Sorry about your cat5 cable, nice now you've gotta better cable ;)

See my other thread '801/dscaler' as well about the res problem, looking forward to the new Radeon GFX.

The focus is nice & sharp, using HD8 lenses (They are the glass ones !! They are pretty heavy, so i'd take a guess there glass)

Just worried about this line problem, no idea what it is......

Still loving the PQ, amazing colour / contrast / detail over my previous LCD PJ.

Cheers

Cosmic023

17. thelaw

thelaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cosmic:

Are your lenses the ones in the metal casing?

Also, is the line right at the edge? will it not disappear using blanking?

Cheers,
    Jon

18. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Yeah never thought of using the blanking, i'll give that a whirl......

As for the lenses, they are the metal ones.

Cheers

Cosmic023

Edit: Yeah the blanking got rid of the line problem, thanks. Doh should of known that one !! :D

19. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Optics as far as I know are the same.
    I believe the change from metal to plastic was to help with focus (as the metal expanded the focus went out, plastic did not suffer in this way.)

All modern CRT lenses BTW are a hybrid of elements the big front and back are plastic the insides are glass.