1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabling problem with new DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by popchart, Mar 18, 2005.

1. popchart

popchart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a newbie to this group desparatly seeking some help to connect up the following items:-

Sony KV-32FX60U tv with 3 scarts
    Panasonic TU-DSB30 Sky box with 2 scarts
    Panasonic DVD recorder DMR-E55EB with 2 scarts
    Panasonic VCR recorder NV-FJ620B with 2 scarts

I currently have the Sky box into AV1 on the TV and the DVD into AV2. Whether the dvd records or not depends on whether the tv is on or off! The vcr cannot see the sky box either.

Any help would be much appreciated before my wife throws the dvd recorder out of the window.

Chris

2. criggy

criggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
  3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    You have the Sky box routed into the DVD recorder via the TV which is will only work when the TV is switched on.

Try routing the Sky box into the DVD Recorder and from the DVD Recorder into AV1 on the TV as that should work.

The second scart output on the Sky box should go to the VCR and from there to AV3 on the TV

4. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    This is my idea.

I'm making the following assumptions when proposing this set-up:
    1. On the TV, both the AV1 and AV2 scart sockets can accept an RGB signal.
    2. It is possible to select what is output from the TV's AV3 scart socket, e.g. AV1, AV2, AV4, etc.
    3. A signal is still output from the AV3 scart, even if the TV is in stand-by - not sure if this is the case if the power is switched off completely.
    You would need four scart cables to effect this set-up:
    • Connect the Sky box's AV1 scart to the TV's AV1 scart. Set the Sky box to output an RGB signal from the AV1 scart - this may be set automatically.
    • Connect the Sky box's AV2 scart to the DVDR's AV2 socket. Set the Sky box to output an RGB signal from the AV2 scart - again this may be set automatically.
    • Connect the DVDR's AV1 scart to the TV's AV2 scart.
    • Connect the VCR's AV1 scart to the TV's AV3 scart. Set the TV to output the AV1 signal from the AV3 scart.
    When you want to record from the Sky box to the DVDR, set the DVD to record the AV2 input. When you want to record from the Sky box to the VCR, set the VCR to record the AV2 input.

5. popchart

popchart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Criggy,

Thanks for your advice but unfortunatly the diagram does not match my set up - I have a DVD recorder not just a player.

Chris

6. popchart

popchart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

Thanks for your sugestion. Unfortunatly it didn't work! I won't waste time by saying what happened at this time as I have just seen Green Bars sugestion and I'll try that next and report back!

Chris

7. popchart

popchart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Green Bars,

The tv has smartlink on AV2 and so DVDR needs to go in tv AV2 to get downloads and clock updates. I can only set output on SKY box AV1 to RGB - no option to set AV2. The tv only permits AV2 output to be redirected - this is set to 'tv' by the way.

All works fine except cannot record from the SKY box to the VCR on AV1 (or 2 ) as sugested. Can only record SKY throught the co-axial aerial link to the VCR and I get the messahe 'mono' appear on the screen momentarily when I do this. It would be nice to record in stereo but at hte end of the day the idea of the DVDR was to longterm replace the VCR.

Regards,
    Chris

8. GreenBars

GreenBars

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Does your TV have built-in Freeview tuner?

9. popchart

popchart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No built in Freeview tuner
    Chris