Cabling Issue

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by RodneyJ, Nov 4, 2017.

1. RodneyJ

RodneyJ
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good afternoon
    I wonder if anyone can advise me on a cabling issue.
    I recently purchased a Revo Supersystem, and have been very satisfied with it. However, it doesn't have a CD player and I have a collection of CD's. I am planning to buy a Mitchell and Johnson CDD-201 Hi-Fi Separate CD Player, which I would like to connect to the Revo. The Mitchell and Johnson has both a Digital coaxial and optical outputs. plus stereo analog out, while the Revo has both auxiliary in (3.5mm stereo mini jack input) and a digital optical input.
    Three questions:
    (1) What cable do I need? (2) Where do I get it? (3) Which input do I connect to which output?
    I would be very grateful for any advice (expressed in the simplest of possible terms, please...).
    Rodney Jones

2. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
  3. RodneyJ

RodneyJ
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks, cosmicma.

4. Konzentr8

Konzentr8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    There are much better cd players available for less than the model you plan on buying .
    The Mitchell & Johnson is a re - badged Sansui 201 ( M & J used to be the importers for Sansui ) The only real change is an aluminium front plate and a £100 price increase .
    The Sansui never sold well and hung around several online stores for as little as £80 new before stocks ran out , the major issue , other than it's poor sound being no gapless playback meaning a lot of classical and albums like Pink Floyd's
    that have each track blended into the next will have a couple of seconds of silence artificially inserted .
    Sansui was a well respected brand once but later equipment was made by Orion Electronics and is Sansui in name only , the M&J is made by them too.
    For an alternative with better sound quality and gapless playback i would go for the Marantz CD 5005
    £ 169 @ Richer Sounds at present and connect via the phono outputs into the AUX input with a cable similar to the one already advised , personally i would buy something slightly better like the Audioquest Tower 2 x Phono - 3.5 mm jackplug but there are numerous options available from a couple of pounds up in various lengths.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  5. RodneyJ

RodneyJ
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your advice Konzentr8. As you may gather I am a music lover (of the Beethoven, Mahler, Messiaen variety) rather than an audiophile of any description! My circumstance is a little unusual. I have been given £250 (I live in the UK) as a 70th Birthday present specifically to purchase the CD Player. Hence the choice of the Mitchell & Johnson was based on spending as much of the £250 as possible, rather than any specific knowledge of the product. As I have not yet placed the order, I would be very happy if you could recommend a CD Player around that price that would be compatible with my Revo Supersystem. I also note from your reply that some cables are better than others, whereas I assumed that a cable is just a cable. I am happy to pay for a better cable if this will improve the reproduction quality. Once again, many thanks for your help and I hope that you can suggest a suitable player.

6. Konzentr8

Konzentr8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    CD players under or at the £250 price point are a dying breed and with your musical tastes gapless playback is essential narrowing it down even more however a few more suggestions.
    Marantz CD 6006 slightly over budget at around £ 270 ish ,
    Onkyo 7030 £ 170-200 ( i own one of these and it's a superb player ) ,
    Denon 720 ae £ 200- 230 ,
    Yamaha have some good players at this price as do CambridgeAudio but don't support gapless playback .
    With regards to cable , my suggestion was based more on build quality rather than any difference in sound.
    Many believe cable makes no difference , personally up to a point i do .
    Any interconnect from the likes of Audioquest , QED , Van Damme or Cambridge Audio for around £ 20 metre will be more than adequate in your system .
    Could you not spend £ 200 or so on the player £ 20 on a cable and the rest on a couple of new cd's ?

7. RodneyJ

RodneyJ
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once more, many thanks. I'll take a look at all your suggestions.

8. Konzentr8

Konzentr8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Another one i overlooked Nad C316 Bee £ 250 ( Amazon ) this is probably the one that would suit you most with the added bonus of being smaller physically than traditional hi fi separates and would look nice with your system.

9. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,123
    Can you kick in a few extra £Pounds above the £250?

I would say the highest value come from Yamaha, but there are Denon on pretty deep discounts -

Yamaha CDS300 CD Player - £199 (£270 retail) -

https://www.hifix.co.uk/hi-fi/hi-fi-separates/cd-players/yamaha-cds300-cd-player

This is a very common CD Player and should be available from many sources.

Denon DCD720AE CD Player - £199 (£349 retail) -

Denon DCD720AE CD Player - Superfi

https://www.hifix.co.uk/hi-fi/hi-fi-separates/cd-players/denon-dcd720ae-cd-player

If you can go a little more money, the Marantz CD6006 is well regarded -

Marantz CD6006 CD Player - £278 (£399 retail) -

Marantz CD6006 CD Player - Superfi

There are others to consider - Pioneer, Onkyo, ... - but these listed above probably represent best value.

Steve/bluewizard

10. Konzentr8

Konzentr8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Steve the Yamaha cds 300 IS a good player but doesn't support gapless playback which given the OP's taste in music could become a major annoyance .
    I auditioned the Yamaha when i was looking for a new cd player but eventually chose the Onkyo 7030 as it supports gapless and sounds excellent .

11. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,123
    Indeed the Onkyo 7030 CD Player is in the same price range as those I suggested. Generally I find Onkyo, at least in Stereo Equipment, to be exceptionally clear -

Onkyo 7030 CD Player - £199 -

Onkyo C7030 CD Player - Superfi

For myself, my mind-set is in vinyl Albums, so the gap, as long as it is silent, doesn't bother me. I think for someone who listens to classical where a give work can be in various movements would appreciate not having that pause, but it is not a deal breaker for me personally, my music is more song oriented.

But, I was also listening to "The Best of Bach" the other day, and really did not notice any gaps.

That would have to be a personal judgement by the individual, but for myself, it is not a consideration.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  12. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,123
    Let's move back to cabling and interconnects.

What you need depends on what you use. If you user the Digital (optical or coaxial) out, then you need the corresponding cable. But, you need to understand that you are NOT using the Digital to Analog Convert in the CD Player, you are using the DAC in the Amp, which means the Amp must actually have a DAC, or you must have an external DAC.

If you use the Analog RCA outputs, then you are using the DAC internal to the CD Player. Unless you have pretty high end equipment, the simplest thing to do is to simply connect the amp and CD using RCA Analog Cables.

If you have the ability to do so, you can try other options and compare them and pick the one you like best, but generally RCA Analog is fine.

For those who don't now, this is the REVO SuperSystem -

Revo SuperSystem review

SuperSystem | Revo

This is a very small limited self-contained tabletop system.

The device appears to have a Single RCA Analog In, though it is very hard to see in the photo. And it does appear to have some Digital Inputs and Networking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve/bluewizard

13. Konzentr8

Konzentr8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have another suggestion Rodney , to be honest £250 spent on a cd player to use with the Revo is going to be wasted to a large extent .
    The Revo is a good little system for what it is but is not going to make the most of a dedicated separates cd player.
    With that in mind your £250 would buy a nice little separates system that would sound far superior than the Revo.
    A few suggestions...
    £250 budget
    CD Player TEAC CD-P 1260 MK11 £ 122.95 @ Superfi with free next day delivery.
    Amplifier CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AM 1 TOPAZ £ 79.99 @ Richer Sounds states in store only but if you can't vist and they have in stock they are happy to send next day via DPD for £6 .
    Speakers WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.0 £ 49.99 @ Richer Sounds available in store , online and via telesales.
    Total £252.93
    You would also need an interconnect cable and speaker wire , interconnects as already discussed and something like Fisual S- Flex or Van Damme Blue speaker cable for around £ 2 per metre. ( Amazon )
    You can then then link the system to one of the inputs on the amp via the rca outputs ( reading the specs shows these are outputs not inputs ) on the Revo which would bypass the internal amp/speakers and allow you to play the radio etc through the separates set up giving much better sound quality.
    The only downside to this system is that the TEAC does not support gapless playback , if this is a necessity then another £30 on the budget would get a DENON DCD 520 AE
    £149.99 @ Superfi .
    I have used both of the companies mentioned numerous times over the years and received excellent service , if you have never owned a separates system it may seem daunting and complicated at first but there's always someone here who will help with advice on set up etc , worth considering maybe?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017