1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabling Ideas needed for a Plasma Display...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by corpkid, Apr 27, 2004.

1. corpkid

corpkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all:

I am going to be wall mounting a HD plasma in my new place, and have the oppertunity to have any type of wiring done as it is new construction. I want to have the plasma mounted on the wall, with a "video" jack of some type installed in the wall behind it so it's super clean w/ no visible wiring. I believe the connection type will be YPbPr for the HD input, and another for the X-Box input, and I'll need 3 S-Video connections, to accomodate a 2nd cable box, a Tivo and a DVD player.

I will then relay all of the connections to a central closet where the equipment (cable box, Tivo, xbox, dvd & reciever) will be located.

Here is where I'm going to need some help:

1) Where can I find such "video jack" wall plates? My developer is clueless...
    2) Where can I find VERY short cables for HD/S-video (like 6 inches)
    3) Is there some type of "radio" remote control I can use since there will be no direct line of sight for standard IR remotes?
    4) Is this how you'd set this up? :confused:

I am also looking for some type of very low profile, yet pretty good speakers to mount on the sides and top of the plasma...(Front Left, Front Right, and Center).

Wow, I didn't realize it would be so complicated! How does everyone else achieve that "clean" look with wall mounted plasmas? HELP! I need to get this all purchased and planned within a month or so!

THANKS!:blush:

2. chachi

chachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    corpkid

Plenty of options for wall plates with custom outlets - some more Home Theatre than others; which are a touch more 'agricultural' as they are aimed at the AV market.

You may find with a bit of system planning you can simplify that cable bundle and face plate big time - its perfectly reasonable to assume 1 x Multicore video cable plus 1 x RS232 or IR control cable and use a video processor or switcher to bring all of your video signals together in your 'system' cupboard.

Myself and others on the Forum do this sort of system planning for a living if you need assistance.

Best regards

Joe

4. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a chap on these forums with the handle "philinman" who put up a thread entitled "Well the 504 is fitted to the wall and all is finished" showing what he did to bury cables in walls. It might be worth seeking him out.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Phil had them buried by a professional. The HDE has it's own cable connection of course, with all system connections made to the medial box. You can achieve this effect with any display, as Joe says, using a processor/scaler, and/or an AV amp that offers video switching. You should have only a very few wires going up to the plasma, and it is normal not to use wall plates, but to simply bury the cables with enough slack poking out to connect with. It might not look so neat with no plasma on the mount, but it's fine with the display mounted, and there will be less joints in the cables, which can only be a good thing. We often do video jack plated in the floor for corporate install, and speaker/sub jacks in the home, but never the other way about in the history of my company! Corporates have architectural speakers, domestics don't have floor boxes usually, and don't connect laptops to the screen and have to stand in the right place for a presentation.

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    We use these guys (SE England Based)

www.hingesandbrackets.com

to supply us blank wall plates in whatever finish matches the clients home (right down to vertical or horizontal brushstrokes!) then we butcher some basic AV wall plates for the connectors and build our own.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?E2E212928

Even still, where possible we run direct from the wall to the kit to minimize the amount of contacts we have to use. We only do plates where the wall section with cable is visible. :lesson:

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm personally always in favour of putting in some sort of trunking. That way, you can upgrade to another type of cable or system at a later date. Nothing wrong with wall plates, perhaps putting in extra ones just with say BNC connectors for later use would be a good idea. After all, three S-Video sources for cable, TiVo and DVD? I'd be looking to use a better output from these.

Pronto Pro has RF, but the problem is that you need a device to convert the RF to a IR locally where your equipment is. I'm not sure if that's possible. However, there are IR repeaters so that you can have a sensor which is in direct sight, but it repeats the IR to the hidden equipment.

Again, people such as Joe are experts at this type of system. It might be your first system, but Joe does this every day!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Marantz and philips remotes have RF facility. The reciever is an add on extra, which you put in the location of the gear. If you can't run to £500 for a programmed pronto, QED roomlink kit will transmit the IR along a shielded cat5 cable to wherever you like, from the original remotes.

9. tropicalpoppy

tropicalpoppy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We are in the process of doing the same sort of thing at home. Our electrician has buried trunking in the wall that comes out in a standard size wall box (normally used for a power socket etc). He has had to adapt the bottom to take the trunking. These can be blanked out if not is use with a standard blanking plate or you can get front plates that just have an oblong hole in (normally used to fit a type of plug in dimmer).

We have also opted to go for the Denon 3805 that does a convert up to component. This means all the boxes and associated cabling will be hidden under the stairs and we just run a component cable, and centre sound cable to the tv.

This was suggested to us by a very helpful person at Sevenoaks, Brighton.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And power, of course! Glad you haven't let the electrician run the cables, it's our worst nightmare. 'Oh, our electrician has already run the cables you need' they say. On site, you find a coax for arial, and a bit of twin and earth for speakers.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,463
    Hello all

Keep in mind you don't want high voltage power down the same trunking as low voltage video, audio and control cables; its unsafe and potentially none too good for your low voltage signals.

Best regards

Joe