1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabling help

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Doctor_AB, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Having some building work done and want to set up in new room for sky. I would like to run cables for when i upgrade to sky plus(sky+ would actually be in another room and new room would have just sky). Want to run it through loft and wall to room.
    I need some help. What type of cable do I need?, where can I get it from? am I allowed to join cable or does this degrade signal?
    At the same time I am tempted to run cable via loft for sky plus which I intend to get feb/march when building work finished, same questions as above. Would I be better just asking independant installer to do the job?

Not really about sky but how about my broadband modem (wireless but with one wired connection potential) as I am going to have a loft room what sort of cable do I need.

Sorry for all the questions.

2. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will get a quad LNB for sky plus, you need two cables for skyplus from dish to box. You can run another two to places where you might like to use a digibox for TV or radio.

You can get BSkyB endorsed sattelite cable from CPC (www.cpc.co.uk). Choice of colours (black white brown). Suitable for burial or not, 50m or 100m reels. They don't seem to sell the double cable for sky plus; you'd just have to run two singles. Get some F connectors to go on the ends while you're ordering.

You can join the cable; it does degrade the signal slightly, as does kinking the cable; try to make the join short and straight.

getting water in the cable will ruin it. tape up the end that's outside and leave it pointing downwards until it's connected.

Drip loops: where the cable goes into the house or the dish, make sure rainwater will trickle away from the house/dish and drip off a "drip loop" (just a bit of slack in the cable making a low point) .

Assuming broadband modem is ethernet connection, you'd use cat5e. And possibly a central hub/switch to allow multiple outlets round the house.

3. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Or use the wireless facility

4. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    thanks guys.

Wireless difficult as would be over 3 floors.

VG advice on sky.

Sorry to be dim but how does the cat5 cable fit in with broadband modem, ie how does it all fit together. Can I run cat 5 cable to pc aand other end to broadband modem or straight into a central hub which then goes into modem?