Question Cabling Help! 20m HDMI or HDMI over Cat6??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by liverpool81, May 9, 2018.

1. liverpool81

liverpool81
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Hello,

New to the forum here.

I'm renovating my home having gutted it completely. My new setup will be housed under the stairs (i've put ventilation + fan in there too) and in that storage, I intend to put;

1. SkyQ Box
      2. Xbox One
      3. NUC

I have wired my Cat6 so that goes up from the living room (behind wall mounted TV) to the upstairs bedroom, under the floorboards and down to the storage under the stairs. I have recently purchased 20M HDMI cables from Cabelessson and was going to run these like I have with my Cat6 mentioned above. However, I recently came across HDMI over Cat6 and wanted to know if this would be a better idea as I read anything over 15m HDMI tends to struggle with a sharp picture? or if you have alternative suggestions?

For SkyQ in the bedroom and kitchen, I intend to buy the SkyQ mini wireless boxes.

Thank you.
      SK

2. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +149
      Are you looking for 4K / Ultra HD? Many of the HDMI over Cat 5/6 baluns on the market won't handle much above 1080p.

If you want 4K, be sure to get one that uses HDBaseT technology - as some of these will handle uncompressed [email protected] (like these). Of course, the massive caveat here is the quality of the cat cable that lies in-between! Good quality, solid core, non-CCA Cat 6/7 cable will provide the best results (and overhead for future advancements in technology).

I personally have a set of Neet Baluns for sending my AVR output to the two front bedrooms - because these are only 1080p TV's - I'm not arsed about 4K (and probably will never be for the bedrooms!).

The other option is to lay a hybrid-fibre HDMI cable between the TV and the av rack - something like the Ruipro is highly recommended by users of this forum.

Nate

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
      Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,424
      Once you 'go long' with HDMI the issue is not so much about image quality as actually achieving a stable image.

HDMI cable - 15m is the max recommended for HD (1080p) and 8m for 4K UHD (2160p).

HD over CAT - can go out to 40m, 70m and 100m depending on the Tech you employ. All Extenders will support HD (1080p) and others will also support 4K UHD, though which frame rate and HDCP version they support varies. The latest Extender Tech (employing second generation HDBT) requires some form of compression with higher bandwidth 4K UHD (no matter what the blurb suggests - the small print usually differs from the headlines).

Hybrid Fibre HDMI - will carry all current variants of 4K UHD with no compression out to 100m and also support ARC if you are using your TV as a Source.

ARC - carries the usual caveat that ARC relies on CEC which is not always reliable so ideally you also run an Optical Digital Audio cable as a backup.

Plan B - always plan for cables failing, being damaged or becoming obsolete, conduit and a pull cord are ideal.

Joe

4. liverpool81

liverpool81
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for the feedback, very helpful

5. nigelk1

nigelk1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      If you can, I would run cat5/6 for the sky mini boxes also.