1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabling from my DVD to my Projector

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by (GTV)Chris, Aug 10, 2005.

1. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there,

I have just bought a Denon 2910 ( I couldn't wait til Blue ray/HD DVD comes out, it may take a while any way) but,
    I have a problem.
    Into my projector (through the walls and ceiling) are Component, composite, s-video and VGA leads - Unfortunately I didn't install HDMI or DVI when I did the rest 2 years ago :(
    I would like to get the best out of the DVD player so I am going to use the component cables for now ( I assume this will produce a cracking image)
    Ideally I need to use DVI or HDMI - But I cant rip the walls down and I have heard that long runs of digital cables are no good - And if I run it round the walls against skirting boards etc I would need approx 15 metres.
    Any one got any good suggestions.
    Perhaps just leaving it at Component will be ok???

Any help would be great

Chris

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,591
    (GTV)Chris

I guess the first step is to try a Digital (over DVI) vs. Analogue (over YUV) test to see if your worrying unnecessarily or not :)

DVI and HDMI can work over 15m - though not all cables will retain the signal; some will simply not produce a picture and some will cause artefacts.

Possibly you can find a way to loan a long Digital cable for a 'shoot out'!!!

Best regards

Joe

3. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks.
    I had a look at the component out last night and it was excellent.
    I don't know if I will try a Digital connection at the moment.. I doubt anyone will lend me a cable and most are expensive and don't want to be in a position were I have to return it - with all the hassle etc.

Cheers

Chris