1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabling for Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Jackass, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Now that i've ordered Sky+ and a digibox for the bedroom i have some questions:

How many cables will come from the dish to the house?
    Is it 2 from the dish for sky plus and 1 for the digibox?

Will they install wall plates? if so will there be 2 connectors on one wall plate for sky+ and 1 connector on the other wall plate for the digibox?

I dont want cables run above any skirting and was wondering if i can run the cabling myself ready for the sky engineer coming or will he refuse to use the cabling i propose to install for him?

Cheers,

Steve.

2. pinter75

pinter75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The LNB has 4 outputs, So I guess it will be 2 for Sky+ and one for the extra digibox. Digiboxes cannot share LNB feeds from 1 cable. I have no idea about face plates but I would suppose they would install them.

3. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I supose it depends who's installing for you. Sky don't put wall plates on, just leave the cable poking through the hole. The simplest (not shortest) route from dish outside the house, (I've seen cable just slung over the roof) to the nearest outside wall to your box, through the wall then along skirting etc (if required) to the box. My plus has two feeds in one cable, like oversized speaker wire. Others use 2 coax runs, it's luck of the draw. Every additional digibox needs a feed (2 if plus). They may balk at your wireing as if it doesn't work.......... I'd let them install, & then do it yourself after. If you tell them they won't staple the cable down, & will leave you slack if asked (my experience). I don't know for myself, but if a local dealer is installing they should be 'more professional' - but you'll pay.

4. sirp

sirp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i gather the existing sky coax cabled installed cannot be used for sky+?

reason i ask is i have my current cable under the house and stuff, so cannot get from current dish to area in lounge where my sky box is. if possible i would get sky+

5. wod

wod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    you can you just need to install another run of cable

6. sirp

sirp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    thats my point/problem, i cannot install another run, no access

7. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Sirp,

If the cable will pull through then tape the new cable to it and pull it through.

8. sirp

sirp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    cant, i dont think

current situation is, sky cable through front-right of lounge and run along under the house to hole in wall m8 to current box..cable length is tought

there is no way to run another cable i dont think, im stuffed :) unless ican hire a really small person about 6 inch tall :)

9. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Just a thought Sirp, if you get plus, you can have it installed elsewhere with the two feeds. (Sockets & telephone permiting) Then run a link to you main set, maybe using some of the hidden cable. Not the best quality signal perhaps, but may be more elegant than cables all around the skirting etc if the original run can't be duplicated. It would be sacraficing 'performance' but may be rewarded with domestic bliss. My wife HATES seeing wires !?!? I've only just managed to conceal them with some ongoing building work, & have had to suffer 8 months of B****ing about them.

10. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Have you tried a stacker - destacker??

You can run two LNB signals on one cable. Cable has to be good quality though - have it working in my apartment very well indeed. Cannot remember the brand think its Johansson.

Rgds Steve.