1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabling for NTL Digital TV

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Bursar, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I'm having NTL come in and install a digital box next Tuesday, and am currently thinking about how they will cable it.

Currently, the incoming signal box is in an upstairs room at the front of the house. It's there because it was put in a couple of years ago for broadband.

Now I want the TV, cabling is a little tricky. The options the way I see it at the moment are as follows:

1. Cable runs from first floor room, all down the stairs, across the hall, across the lounge and eventually into the STB.

2. Cable runs from first floor room out of the house, down the front external wall, back into the house, across the hall, across the lounge and into the STB.

A third option struck me, and that's that they run the cable up into the loft and connect it to the existing TV aerial lead which feeds into the lounge. A cable can then run from the wall point to the STB.

I don't know what spec the existing TV cable is, but I doubt it's anything fantastic.

Then I thought of a final option. I could get up in the loft, and attempt to run a length of RG59 cable through so that it comes out in the lounge. I'd put a wall plate in, and then the cable to the STB can run from there.

I have more than enough RG59 cable, but I don't know if it's going to be suitable for this purpose. If it's not really going to be up to the job, I'd rather find out before I spend a few hours in the loft trying to feed cable through the wall space.

On a kind of related nore, if I were to get a second STB in the future, how is it connected? Is the feed from the NTL box split to the two STBs, or is a cable run from the first STB onto the second?

2. Tides2002

Tides2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There should be an external ground level brown (or grey) box on an outside wall. The new cable will be connected to this box and not (usually) the internal box.

If you get a second STB the cable is split, again either at the outside box or internally say if you had the STB in the same room as the modem.

3. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    That might make it a little easier, but not much :( How much drilling and general messing about can I expect to be able to get out of the engineers?

If the feed is from the external box, then my preferred route would be across the front of the house, through an external wall, through two internal walls, and then the cable runs around the lounge to the STB.

I tell you, thinking about what to do (Freeview vs NTL and now cabling) has driven me mad this past week or so!