Cabling for LC32GD1E?

G

geekgrrrl

My Sharp LC32GD1E is coming next week :clap: :clap: , and I need to order the cables I need to get the most out of it. I'll be connecting a Panasonic DMR-E55 DVD player and a Sky+ Box. I'm a bit clueless about what I need - could anyone help me out?
Thanks
Mel

If you were to connect the DVD recorder and Sky+ seperately, then I suggest the following.....

Panasonic E55 -> Sharp GD1E via Component cable. This way you can turn on the progresseive scan for a smoother picture. Turn on Prg Scan on both the DVD player and the TV. Note: Component doesn't carry sound so you will need to connect phono cables from the E55 to the TV.

Sky+ -> Sharp GD1E via SCART. Plug the SCART into input 1 on the TV and select RGB for that input in the options on the TV.

I'm not sure whether what I am going to suggest will work but I suppose you can try it.

Sky+ --SCART--- E55 ---Component--- Sharp GD1E

If this works, you might be able to record Sky+ onto the DVD recorder and burn off discs and also convert a Sky+ signal into progressive scan. I have a feeling it wont though. Can anyone else shed any light on whether it would work ?

Richie.

Thanks very much Rich. I can get hold of a Supra FS Scart and a Supra AV3 Component cable - these should do me OK then?
I like the sound of your alternative setup - does anyone know if it works?! If not I'll give it a go anyway and report back. Thanks :smashin:

Have you got an AV amp ? If so, you can link up your DVD player to the amp with an optical cable to get Dobly Digital or DTS through 1 cable.

If not, don't forget the phono cable ! :)

Richie.

No, no amp I'm afraid. Too complicated for me!
Right, I'll get a phono cable too. (wanders off muttering "hmm, what's a phono cable? I can't ask, they'll think I'm COMPLETELY stupid. Maybe it is one of those little round pin ones) :blush:

geekgrrrl said:
No, no amp I'm afraid. Too complicated for me!
Right, I'll get a phono cable too. (wanders off muttering "hmm, what's a phono cable? I can't ask, they'll think I'm COMPLETELY stupid. Maybe it is one of those little round pin ones) :blush:

(Thought to self, wonder if she knows what a Phono Cable is ? Nah, she can't be THAT stupid surely ! Suppose I could have pointed her in the direction of http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGA4201.html and told her about the L for Left speaker channel and R for right speaker channel on the back of the DVD player. An also not to get them mixed up when connecting the other end to TV.)

OK, QED component and RGB Scart, and Van den Hul Phono cables are ordered and on their way!

Thanks

cross-posted!

heh heh, found hificables.co.uk instead. NOW I know what a phono cable is!

You forgot to remind me to switch on at the mains, too :blush:

Right. Just noticed something about the AV centre that comes with the GD1E (The box that you're going to plug all these cables in to). There isn't a separate phono in for the component input (Input 3) but there is a SCART connector for Input 3 as well as Component.

I'm guessing all you need to do is get a Phono to Scart connector (http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/AD001.html) and connect the phono cables to this and connect the Component cables to the YUV input just to the left of the Scart socket.

Can anyone confirm this ? Has anyone tried doing this with their GD1E ?

By the way, you never asked about turning the damn thing on, just about linking all of it together ! Turning it on is a whole other thread !

Richie.

oh god, I thought it seemed all too simple.

WHY isn't there a phono in? Doesn't that seem a bit wierd? Why would they have component video in and not phono (if I'm understanding you correctly?)
Sigh. Does anyone here have a GD1E who can shed any light?

You see I KNEW I'd have to sort it out before the telly came, I couldn't bear the thought of it coming and me not having the right kit to actually watch the thing :boring:

It does seems extremely bizarre ! I've not come across anything like it.

You could email Sharp ([email protected]) and ask them if what you're doing is right and will work that way. The only other thing I can think is that if people are using Component input (Good picture quality), they will probably have an AV amp (Good sound quality) and not need a sound input.

You could just forget the component route and connect via Scart but I think you should stick it out and use component !

strange, isn't it? I've emailed sharp so let's see what they say. i'd like to use the component connections - since I have a progressive scan dvd recorder it seems silly not to use it...

There is no audio input on GA4 or GD1... For me it's no problem because I have a DD/DTS receiver but I already asked myself what one would do without a receiver :confused:

I will test the thing with the AV/Scart connector on input 3 later this day but I'm sure it wont work. You have to choose the input in the TV's menu. Component or RGB/Fbas Scart and I don't think there's an option to mix component with the audio signal of the Scart input at the same time. BTW if you have a GA4 you can forget about it anyway because there is not enough space to plug in an AV/Scart Connector... yeah well designed...

about those "phono cables": these are normal cinch cables right? Where will you plug them if there's no audio input at all?? The GD1E has an optical digital output but no input analog/digital. The only way would be that you forget about a high quality picture and use S-Video with a AV/scart connector with audio and s-video inputs but who is spending so much money for a TV and using S-Video...

EDIT: well I should have read the whole thread... it is all about the input problem :blush:

Geekgrrrl,

By the look of it you have only one option. Buy a Surround Sound kit. You can get a full kit with decoder and 5.1 speakers for about £200. Then, connect the DVD Player and Sky+ through the AV amp.

Sorted.

Richie.

Do you REALLY mean that I can't use my lovely new hi-tech, fabulous tv with a dvd player WITHOUT buying a whole surround sound kit as well? Isn't that completely nuts? (Of Sharp, obviously, not of you). Why have I spent £1900 on a telly if I can't use the bloody speakers it comes with?!!! :mad:

OK, This is the reply I've got from SharpL:

..."To get the sound through when using Component in you will need a Phono to Scart lead or possibly a Scart to Scart "depending how audio comes out of the DVD" you will need to use the Scart 3 input on the AV Console next to the Component terminals, this will enable audio.

Note. you will need to go in to the menu/options/input select and select Component."

I could use some help in translating this. So what he is saying is that I need a phono to scart lead (like you suggested?) I guess? To use in conjunction with the component connection? Because if I do Scart to Scart like he suggests I won't get progressive scan, right?

I will test this in a few hours....

but I'm almost sure I already tried it once without success...

all you do is connect component and scart from DVD-r to input3 Scart and component and set Sharp to view via component, will allow sound down scart and pic via component (just like on Veira).... GD1E has some very very clever feature like using attached speaker as centre for 5.1!!!!!!!! been waiting for somone to do taht for years......

geekgrrrl said:
I could use some help in translating this. So what he is saying is that I need a phono to scart lead (like you suggested?) I guess? To use in conjunction with the component connection? Because if I do Scart to Scart like he suggests I won't get progressive scan, right?

So, you will need the Phono leads that you've ordered and the Scart to Phono converter that I showed you earlier in the in the thread. Plug the Component cables into Input 3 and the Scart to Phono converter into Scart Input 3 and the phono cables into the converter.

I don't think plugging a Scart into the E55 and plugging it into Input 3 as well as the component cables will work. IIRC, whe you switch on Prog Scan on the E55, it blocks the Scart from sending a signal.

Richie.

Ahhhhhhhhh.

So.

I need 1 RGB Scart to connect Sky+ to DVD.
1 Component to carry video from DVD to TV
1 Scart (plain vanilla?) to carry audio from DVD to TV

And Bob is your father's brother :clap:

Horny, you are my HEEEEEEEROOO

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom