Cabling for Iscan Pro

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by VintageMark, May 20, 2001.

1. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi...

Looking for some info on cabling options for an Iscan....

I have a Pioneer 737 which I intend to connect to the Iscan using component cables, but Im not sure about the cabling from the Iscan to the projector.

I know the Iscan can output a component signal, but the output connector is a 15pin D type PC connector. So how do I wire it up for component output?

I've been told I need a VGA to 5 BNC cable... then 3 BNC to phono adapters...

All clear except for one thing... Everything I've read says the 3 BNCs are R, G and B... and I didnt think RGB and Component are the same thing...

Am I missing something? Can anyone shed any light on my problem?

Many thanks,

Mark.

2. Oasis

Oasis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark,

You are right that component and RGB are not the same thing, however it is becoming common practice to use the same set of connections for both, and select which you want in the controls.

Generally, where RGB and Component are on the same connectors, the Green wire becomes Y, the Blue - Pb (or Cb or B-Y), and the Red - Pr (or Cr or R-Y).
    You'll probably find the RCA connectors for the component out of the DVD and the component in on the Iscan are both coloured in this manner.

However - why do you want to go from the Iscan to the projector in component?

Your projector is more likely to have an RGB computer input than a component progressive one, so in most cases the RGB option will be the easiest and best.

I hope this helps,

Oasis

3. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the information Oasis, that explains why I was getting confused!

As to why I want to use component... simply because I thought it is supposed to offer the best signal quality...

Forgot to say the projector is a Sim2 HT200... so I believe it does have progessive component inputs...

Are you saying it would be better or at least as good if I used RGB on the VGA connector?

Mark.

[ 21-05-2001: Message edited by: MarkT ]

4. Oasis

Oasis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Absolutly Mark, there will be no quality benefit in using Component over RGB out of the Iscan Pro.

The only issue that might determine that you use Component over RGB would be if the HT200 had limitations with respect to the available controls, such as aspect ratio. (Don't worry that the saturation control will not work with RGB, it's not supposed to. You will still have the controls on the Iscan - where they should be!)

Within the world of the Home Theatre, there is fundamentally no difference in image quality between Component and RGB. It is possible to convert between the two without actual encoding or decoding processes (it simply needs a matrix to add and subtract the right parts of each signal)but the more times this is done the more possibility of errors creeping in occurs.

My personal preference is to maintain the native format of the signal for as long as practical, until significant processing is needed - which means use component from the DVD player to the video processor (component is the native format on a dvd). After the video processor I tend to use RGB, as you are more likely to have individual red, green and blue colour balance controls on the projector, but this is probably out of habit more than anything!

I hope this is of interest.

Oasis

5. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Oasis...

Its been a big help! Im definately going to go with RGB for starters and see how that works.. cabling will certainly be more straightforward....

Many thanks..

Mark.

6. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys, hope you dont mind me jumping in only I have a related question for Oasis. My DVD player which is a humble Wharfdale and my Panasonic SKY digibox dont have component out but the SCART sockets output RGB. Now I have heard that the RGB from SCART is not quite the same as RGB when used on a PC or projector but I have also heard that if the sync issue is dealt with in a particular way it will work fine. All of my hardware is connected to a Yamaha AV system which has component in as does my iScan Pro. Any ideas where I might get a SCART to component cable or adaptor?
    BTW the iScan Pro is connected to the RGB (15 pin VGA) input of my Davis DLS8 projector, currently everything up to the iScan Pro is connected with composite cabling.
    Cheers MikeD

[ 22-05-2001: Message edited by: MikeD ]

7. Oasis

Oasis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mike,

there is no difference between VGA RGB, RGB and SCART RGB, in that they are all Red, Green and Blue, and the signal voltages are the same (0.7 Volt) But there are differences, just not as complex as it appears.

First off, remember that SCART is just a connector type, nothing else - the problems lie behind it!

The differences we have to worry about are two-fold - scan rate and sync pulses.

On scan rate, the RGB (or component) coming out of a 'normal' dvd player (i.e. not a progressive scan player) is Interlace (15KHz horizontal scan rate), whereas the RGB coming out of an Iscan (or any scaler or HTPC) is likely to be Progressive scan (32KHz horizontal scan rate and above). The VGA input of a projector is likely to be designed around PC scan rates which are also almost always Progreesive scan and 32KHz and above - it's therefore likely that the input circuit for the VGA connection will not work at video RGB rates at all.

The second part is the sync pulses (the start of line sand start of frame/field signal) on a VGA connector there are usually two sync signals, H and V (horizontal and Vertical) whereas SCART connections do not have a true sync connection at all, most TVs and the like extract the sync signal from the composite video wire. A VGA input circuit is also unlikely to be able to detect and lock correctly to the 0.3 Volt sync, hidden in a video signal, when it's expecting TTL levels (5 Volts)!

There are boxes that can generate the right kind of syncs from video to drive seperate H and V syncs, but that still doesn't guarantee that the display will lock to it.

There are also boxes that can convert RGB to component but currently they cost a few hundred pounds, so it's probably not really worth it! I would recommend upgrading to S-Video input to the Iscan, you'll get pretty close to component quality, but if you are prepared to spend hundreds of pounds - simply replace the Wharfedale with something with component outs instead!

I Hope this helps.

Oasis

8. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oasis thanks for taking the time to reply, yes I am intending to replace the Wharfedale when funds allow which should resolve the DVD issue as its replacement will have component out. The main issue is I guess with the digibox as we tend to watch a film every night (sad isnt it) I'm not sure if it will output S-video via SCART so I guess I'd better find out.
    Many Thanks Again MikeD

9. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Mike,

For S-video from most Sky digiboxes you need the RGB to S-video convertor.
    http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/

Works really well.

Good luck,

Mark G.

10. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Mark, didnt we talk some months ago on the AVS forum, the name rings a bell?
    Anyway I think the RGB to S-video converter is probably an excellent solution, it sounds as if you speak from experience when you talk about it. What was it being used on and did you find it to be that much better than composite?
    Cheers MikeD

11. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Mike,

You probably remember my name from a post about a 'group buy' I organised for Davis DLS8 projectors at the AVS forum a year or so ago.
    I remember you mailing for a price.

I use the RGB to S-video convertor with a Sony Sky digibox and the S-video input on my Davis Cinema One projector.
    Certainly beter than composite.

The Iscan should also benefit from a good S-video input.

I have am also testing the RGB to S-video convertor with a Sky Digibox and PC based scaler, based on Cybertainment capture/input card, Dscaler 2.3 and a radeon LE graphics card.
    Not bad at all, though some noise bars in the picture, probably from my PC's PSU.

Will have to try an Enermax PSU sometime for my HCPC.

Good luck,

Mark G.

12. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Mark, sounds interesting, I built an HTPC about six months ago mainly to deal with SKY, the ASUS GE-force card had composite and S-video in but the capture ability was very poor. A hauppauge Win tv card and dTV proved much better but only really about the same as SKY fed directly. I got fed up with the sheer effort of the HTPC because I found I was generally spending more time with the technical aspects of setting up rather than enjoying the films so I plumped for the iScan Pro. I bought it on a powerbuy and saved a load until that is I had to return it to the US for repair, Oh well. Anyway I am generally pleased with the iScan which is truly plug and play and behaves itself so much I dont know its there. One thing that pleasantly surprised me was that with it the Davis displays its full 800 x 600 native resolution and its internal scaler does a pretty good job of things too.
    Cheers MikeD