Cabling for HDMI matrix

hannaby

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys just a quick question as I am getting to first fix stage on my build.

When finished I intend to have a HDMI matrix and from the look of things I will be going with a HDBaseT (not sure exact config yet though).
Anyway I'm running two lots of cat6 to each display location for redundancy but I'm wondering on how to terminate.
Is it ok to run all back to a patch panel in my central location or should I leave the cables as flying ends? The same goes for display locations, should I take them through a brush plate and make off the ends of the cables or is it ok to take it into a wall plate and terminate and then use patch leads from the wall plates?

Hey @hannaby Yes it should be fine to run all back to patch panels in a central location, however you do potentially introduce loss in terms of distance. Best practice is to cable direct and for info on things like brush plates and termination standards see our guidelines here.

I would run 3 Cat6 and one coax to each TV location, for the HDBaseT best to run straight from matrix to the receiver without any patch panels or plates. The 2nd Cat6 would be for SmartTv functions so would be attached to your router directly or via a network switch, this could be via a patch panel or plate. The third is the redundant spare. Coax as aloways handy to still have the option of freeview.

Let me know when you are after the matrix and we will see what we can do for you.

Similarly, give us a shout if and when you get to deciding on a matrix. We offer 12% off as standard for all AVForums users. You can browse the full selection of our HDanywhere matrices at www.hdanywhere.co.uk

Unbroken cables are always best - and usually easier to deal with behind your Display.

Think about the wall bracket you will be using when placing your Power socket and back box.

Most (but not all) HDBT Matrix will be PoH (Power over HDBT) - if you go with an alternative type of Matrix you may have to allow for a Zone Receiver PSU.

Smart TV - if your TV is going to be a 'key' Source for you consider providing an HDMI capable, HD audio compatible Soundbar below each TV in Zones where you will not be using an AVR.

Main Zone AVR - as above if you have a 'Smart TV' think about how you will get audio back to a centrally located or In-Zone AVR.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom