1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabling DIY Query

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Such, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I have just received my Sanyo Z2 PJ, which I will be mounting on the ceiling.
    It's a typical ceiling, artex on plasterboard. However, I cannot access it from upstairs as the flooring is wooden, and where I need to access there are built in wardrobes that cannot be shifted.
    So, it looks like I'll be running cable across the ceiling.
    My question is this: Is there an easy way of creating a channel for the 2 cables that I need? Perhaps some special tool? Also, what about when I come to the joists - The wires may be too thick to pass over them, causing visible 'lumps' when plastered over.

Any help will be greatly welcomed. My other half is not too keen on having holes in the ceiling, so I need to make sure I do a good job.
    (I've yet to tell her that I need to replace one of the lights as it will obstruct the PJ!)

Any help will be gratefully received.
    Thanks

SUCH

2. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    No DIYers out there then?

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Don't see an easy way out of this. The way I see it you have to channel out the plaster board and recess the joists a horrible messy and noisy job (Possibly an angle grinder) then lay the cables and replace the plasterboard. Then re artex. It may be easier to take up the flooring upstairs!
    Atleast you wouldn't have to play around with the ceiling.
    The only other alternative is external trunking as your good lady wants it to look nice I doubt it would be an option.

4. ReggieDaMole

ReggieDaMole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Find out which way your joists run in the ceiling. Then with a few strategic holes cut out with a large hole-saw (hand size if poss) you can then plug the hole using the original piece of plaster board and some filler. Using this method you should be able to fish the wires along the ceiling void. Tip - a wire coat hanger straightened then bet over at end has helped me many times before with cable fishing.

5. Such

Such

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Thanks guys.

I think I'll be able to run trunking alongside one wall and then do the hole in the ceiling and run the cable parallel to the joists. How easy is it to fish out at the other end and would I need a big hole there too?

I'll not be doing this until I get my denon 1910, as I'm not sure whether to run DVI or component. Would running the video cable with the mains cable close cause any problems with interference?

Thanks again

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Tie a length of string to the lid off a long bit of conduit and use conduit to push it along above plasterboard. then pull cables using said string (string is optional) can just use conduit lid but i prefer string.