1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabling around skirting board into a bay window?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Carlos13, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Carlos13

Carlos13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to cable from the corner of my lounge into a bay window. There will be at least 4 cables (one power, 3 co-ax). I would like to use trunking but the problem is that I need to go around 2 angles, one external angle into the bay, one internal angle inside the bay. Of course these angles are not 90 degrees (more like 45 ish).

All the trunking on the net I can find is available only with 90 degree corners. Does anyone know of variable angle trunking or some flexible solution that would help me?

Before anyone suggests it, ripping up the flooring, skirting, routing behind the plaster is not an option I can consider! I don't want to just clip the cable onto the skirting board as the 3 Sky co-ax cables are brown.

Thanks in advance.

2. droolinggimp

droolinggimp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This might be a solution for your problem. Its one I will be using when I move house and set up my own Home Cinema..

Regardless of what type of flooring you have. be it wood, laminate or carpet, what you could do is this..

running along the bottom of the skirting board alot of people use these.. for finishing of the skirting to floor. making it all nice and tidy..
    My idea is this. As you can see from the picture in the link the wood stripping is solid, you can get a similar type that has a slightly bigger curve and hollow inside. I know you can get this from B&Q or Focus etc. What you would have to do is this... run all your cables along the bottom of the skirting and place the stripping over the top so it is flush against the floor and skirting board. Hey presto the cables are hidden.

What you do then is either glue/nail/tack the stripping to the skirting, or do what I am going to do.

You can get some very small hinges, im talking 2cm long and 1cm wide and some really small screws and screw the hinges to stripping and onto the skirting board this way you can lift up the stripping when ever you need to move cables etc.. you dont notice the hinges as the round bit on them is too small to be seen unless you are actually looking for them.

Obviously you would have to cut the stripping at angles when you get to the sections on your walls into bay etc. but this shouldnt be much of a problem.

Hope this is ok for you.
    regards Chris

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Use standard plastic trunking and cut it according to the required angle. There is a tool who's name I don't know that allows you to make "perfect" cuts at different angles, if necessary ask an electrician or installer for help.

4. schmeegle

schmeegle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the tool is a mitre block, shouldn't be too expensive form B&Q or something.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yep, that's the one. Couldn't even recall the German name to look up the translation. :blush: