1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabling advice required

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Snoopy, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Snoopy

Snoopy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I want to rig up my PC to my plasma but I don't want to be forever plugging and unplugging cables (I also want to carry on using my desktop monitor) so I figure I'll need a splitter. I also need to buy a couple of VGA cables. I need a long VGA male to male (about 7.5m) to reach from my plasma to the splitter. Then I need a shorter version of the same (about 1 metre, perhaps less) to go from the PC to the splitter. The PC monitor has a built in cable which will also go into the splitter.

My questions are whether I need a splitter with a power source or will a simple cable splitter do the job. Either way, any advice on what to get and from where would be much appreciated.

Advice on where to get the VGA cables also appreciated. Belkin seems to be a decent brand... any comments? Have seen a selection on dabs.com but infuriatingly the lengths are not given and its impossible to get a sensible response from a human being with that company.

Thanks a lot for any help.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Snoopy

Whenever we have to split a VGA signal to Two Displays and one Display is more than 5m away from the Distribution Amp we always use/supply the Kramer VP-200xl - see http://www.kramerelectronics.com/indexes/desc.asp?p=VP-200xl

Its relatively low cost and has a variable line drive to compensate for any signal loss on the longer cable run.

A VanDamme Blue series HD15 (VGA) cable will surplice for most applications - though if you want to ensure the cable is not causing any problems a VanDamme Red Series is better - though more costly.

Best regards

Joe