cables?

riptsalot

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi there just a question on cables..
i have a 720 p plasma and use my ps3 on it, looks great but i just use the normal red white and yellow cables . will it look better if i use hdmi cabling or is it not worth it due to me not having 1080p?

hi there just a question on cables..
i have a 720 p plasma and use my ps3 on it, looks great but i just use the normal red white and yellow cables . will it look better if i use hdmi cabling or is it not worth it due to me not having 1080p?

Red white and yellow is the worst connection you could use mate :eek: If your tv has a hdmi input use that and set the ps3 to 720p ..... you will notice a vast improvement.

Yeah, use a HDMI cable, i think you will be surprise :D :smashin:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I use the same HDMI Lead. Mine is a 5m one i bagged from play.com for £50 a while ago.

Works great, never had any issues :smashin:

Get ready to replace your windows when they break as your socks pop off with surprise at the change and fly out the windows :thumbsup:

As for cable quality, I bought a 5quid one from Amazon and it does the job perfectly. I personally do not think spending a huge amount of cash on digital cables is worth it, however you may see a slight improvement.

Nobody seems to have mentioned this, the Yellow, Red and White cables can only transmit standard def images, 576i.

To get the full hidef image out of the Ps3, or Xbox360 for that matter you need to connect it up by HDMI, Component (Blue. Green. Red cables) or VGA.

The same goes for your DVD player if you want progressive scan one of the three connections above, not scart.

So connect the PS3 via HDMI and you will see the full 720p hidef image, most PS3 games are 720p anyway so you are loosing nothing only having a 720p screen. But you are loosing a great deal using composite.

Just buy the cheapest HDMI cable you can find, they are digital cables so it will either work or not work.

edit: deleted response as it's just going to create another hdmi argument thread - people really need to start reading the manuals for things, it quite clearly tells you in the ps3 instructions what resolutions are achieved with what cable.

Last edited:
Or they could watch the informative HDMI articles in these very forums and watch as the engineer with the 250K equipment scoffs at the idea that "better" cables give a better picture. :)

edit: deleted response as it's just going to create another hdmi argument thread - people really need to start reading the manuals for things, it quite clearly tells you in the ps3 instructions what resolutions are achieved with what cable.

Just pick up a cheap (and short) HDMI cable, seen LIDL selling them for £3 and they looked like decent cables.

Then once you have seen your games in 720p/1080p you can decide if you want to get an expensive HDMI cable which may or may not give any difference, but will hurt the wallet.

That's all I'll say, try to avoid any arguements :D

thanks guys ill go and get a hdmi cable . prob only spend about 30 bucks . but yeah cheers guys

thanks guys ill go and get a hdmi cable . prob only spend about 30 bucks.
Why exactly?

Did you not see what people were posting above.

Just spend £5 on the cable, use the other £25 to get a game.

You can get Call of Duty MW for £25 at many places now.

You will get exactly the same picture quality and the greatest game ever made, for the same price.

Unless you are going for cable lengths of 5m or more, you don't need to buy premium HDMI cables.

If it were analogue cables that is a different story, but digital like HDMI and Optical its simply not needed and a waste of money.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom