cables...

pad

Standard Member
Just took the plunge and bought the new Hitatchi 42PD7200. Arrives on Friday :). Anyone got any advise how to bury all the cables from the plasm in the wall. Im looking at populating every input on this baby ... so thats 3 Scart , 1 SVideo, 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 1 component, 1 composite and 1 SVA cable. Im mounting it on the chiminey breast .. so dont know how deep I can go. Should I use ribbon scart leads?

help

W

willsmeister

Mate, as long as it is not a supporting wall you can go as deep as you like (ooer!). Seriously though if you have a big hole in the wall for a fire then it won't be supporting anything. The only thing to consider is how much of a pain it will be to re-plaster. My own opinion is that you would be best putting in some sort of plastic conduit so that you can change/add leads as required.

A

av2diefor

willsmeister said:
Mate, as long as it is not a supporting wall you can go as deep as you like (ooer!). Seriously though if you have a big hole in the wall for a fire then it won't be supporting anything. The only thing to consider is how much of a pain it will be to re-plaster. My own opinion is that you would be best putting in some sort of plastic conduit so that you can change/add leads as required.
ooer!, wont be supporting the chimney breast above then, or the chimney itself?
Not to mention cutting into the flue?

2" is as deep as you want to go , dont forget to put in a pair of stereo cable for audio out,if you want to cover all the angles.

W

willsmeister

Depends on the construction - look at the chimney breast and see where the supporting joist is. In most modern houses it is at ceiling height the full length of the back wall. In older houses the joist will be above the aperture for the fire itself and yes this will be a supporting wall. In new houses the flue is generally a galvanised metal affair and you will know if this is breached. As av2diefor has pointed out my reply was perhaps a little brief - sorry. If you are going to go a full brick deep then you will be asking for trouble wherever the joist is. Think of the game Jenga. If you are in any doubt then get a builder round for a free quote on the work and they will let you know exactly what your construction is and what needs to be done. Good luck on your project

A

av2diefor

Wills, i know your trying to help but there is no joist built in to a chimney breast, there cant be for fire regs, the joists have to be trimmed around any such structure.

When cutting into chimney breasts the joists support is a non issue.What is an issue is to be able to support the weight of the structure above.

In any "chase" you must not exceed one third of the depth of the brickwork or blockwork, so taking the thickness of plaster into account 2" is the max.

wonderloaf

pad said:
Just took the plunge and bought the new Hitatchi 42PD7200. Arrives on Friday :). Anyone got any advise how to bury all the cables from the plasm in the wall. Im looking at populating every input on this baby ... so thats 3 Scart , 1 SVideo, 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 1 component, 1 composite and 1 SVA cable. Im mounting it on the chiminey breast .. so dont know how deep I can go. Should I use ribbon scart leads?

help
If you're going to be using Component and Scart, I'd recommend using ribbon cables on the Scart, I've found that if you use higher quality round cable Scarts (such as Ixos) the angle of the cable lead out on AV3 can interfere with Component phono's. On my 7200 I can't push the Scart all the way home at one end, which obviously isn't ideal. :(

Still get a blinding picture though :D

Trending threads

Top Bottom