1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by vandriver, Nov 8, 2004.

1. vandriver

vandriver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this must have been asked many times but can you get a phono to coax cable as my sky box doesn't have a digital out
    thanks vandriver

2. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you expand upon your requirements a little....

are we discussing audio outputs from a sky box here? on the "RCA phono" sockets (red & white or red & black)? This is a stereo analogue signal on LEFT & RIGHT channels.

to what equipment do you wish to connect? you mention a "digital output" from which I infer that you are wishing to connect the analogue signal from your sky box to a digital input on your amplifier, which is different RCA socket.

This is not possible. They are not compatible.

The usual method is to use a pair of RCA to RCA cables from the Sky box to your amplifier.

The name "coaxial" refers to a type of cable where a central conductor is surrounded by a layer of insulator which is itself surrounded by a layer of conductor, which can be either woven strands (as in most audio/video applications) or a solid sheath (high performance RF cable known as "semi-rigid").

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    What are you trying to connect it to as if you are trying to connect it to an amp you can use a pair of phono leads. If it is an ordinary Sky box you can't get digital sound from most of them anyway.

4. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

am I right in thinking that Sky+ has a digital output?

chris

5. cinemaworks

cinemaworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Sky + does (optical)

Not to say that Ian is not fast :D

6. vandriver

vandriver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys
    sorry about the lack of info in my question im new to av having just bought a sony htk 250 so will start again i have no digital out on my sky box just stereo rca connectors what i wanted to know is can you get a stereo rca to digital coax cable
    so that i can free up an input in to the amp
    thanks

7. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
  8. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No.

The analogue and digital signals are totally incompatible.

In an analogue system what comes down the cables (on two conductors - left & right channels*) is a voltage waveform.

In a digital system, the analogue waveform is encoded into a series of 16-bit (for CD) binary words, where a specific value of a word equates to a specific voltage level of the analogue waveform. The data words are then sent as a serial data stream (down a single conducter, with left and right channels interleaved) to your amplifier, where the first thing it meets is a Digital to Analogue Converter (**) which converts the digital signal back to two-channel analogue to drive your speakers.

The only way to do what you want is to get hold of an Analogue to Digtal Converter (ADC), this will take the output from the sky box and digitise it, giving you a single cable out which you can then connect to your amp.

*and for the smart-alecs, I'm deliberately not including signal returns here!

**Yes, I know I'm generalising here.......fer instance my Meridian System stays in the digital domain right through the preamp and audio processor and only gets converted to analogue at the 7.1 outputs from the surround processor.......

Edit: and cue drum roll......Peridot's found one!